Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Car Insurance Question - SD just got license!

Posted by   + Show Post
SD just turned 17 and got her driver's license in another state. She visits us a week at Christmas and spring break and a few weeks in the summer. We are paying for half of her insurance on BM's car. I called our insurance agent to see what we need to do to be protected when SD is here and wants to drive our car. She wasn't in and is calling back next week, but her associate said be prepared to add her and for it to be way expensive. Does anybody else deal with coverage for a stepchild who only visits infrequently and doesn't have a car of their own?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 27, 2012 at 12:06 AM
Replies (11-12):
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Quoting ShannaBee:

My DH and I discussed this the other day. Neither of our kids are old enough. I think both parents should carry the child on their policy. CPs pay for their insurance on their car and NCPs pay the insurance for theirs. I find it silly that some NCPs have to pay the CPs car insurance because the SK is driving.

This is normally how I would feel too. However, no CS has ever exchanged hands in our case. Dh and BM made an agreement before I ever arrived on the scene. We had my sd's full-time for over 5 years with no CS and no monetary assistance at all from BM. Now she has them with no CS from us but we do pay for a variety of things that add up to several hundred monthly, just because we feel it's the right thing to do (school lunches, spending money, college fund contributions, ec fees, school supplies, clothes, etc.). We promised a long time ago to pay half of insurance when they got their licenses. It's more important than ever since BM's dh just lost his job and she is supporting the household singlehandedly right now.  

by Silver Member on May. 29, 2012 at 3:14 PM

I am an insurance agent. If the child does not live with you and is there infrequently, in my state you would be fine to not add her to your coverage. She would be a permissable user. You could also prove that she was insured on another car out of state. If I were you, I wouldn't add her. The only way I would was if she moved in with me at least half the time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)