Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Answer this if anybody knows?

Posted by   + Show Post
What does BM getting married have to do with BF paying childsupport? I have heard this from my ex, and I still cannot understand why that would come in any conversation!!!! Can anybody explain why, this is his child, the new man should not be expected to pay for another man child!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:01 PM
Replies (21-24):
mirm99
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 7:42 PM
Same here

Quoting Micole1084:

In our state it's all based on the bio parents income... Unless each other has another child then they do get a credit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyNearest
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Agreed.  But lawyers will have to hammer it out.  I think that all BD should pay if the kid is not living with them.   It builds resentment from the BM and SD...and guilt from the BF. 

Money should not be a tool for parents getting their way.  In fact, I think all child support should be garnished directly out of the biological parents wages.  Period.  Nothing else works. 

blaquechinadoll
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:41 PM
Quoting mamaofficer:

I don't think it matters. Just as dh and I got married doesn't equate to BM receiving more child support even though the household income has increased.
1SpaZZedMom
by Librarian on Jun. 13, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Quoting Jodilegan:

Quoting 1SpaZZedMom:

In some circumstances (and states), the stepparent's income can be figured into the BPs income level, which, would change the child support obligation amount. 

Most though, do not consider this. The only reason that it could effect anything with child support is if BM has another child with SF and can add a "subsequent child" to her household and financial responsibilities.

WOW what states is that?? I don't feel that is right. It should solely be based on the biological parents income, not the step parent. Alot of us Step parents have our own bio-children to care for.. Thats confusing. I have read also tho, like in my state if BM od my step kids take DH back to court for child support, it may actually get lowered because the courts take into consideration that he has a child living at home. The article explained it that they take a certain percent right off the top of his income , depending on how many kids are at home, and then base child support on the remainder. Thats how I interpretted it anyway. But Step parents income i was unaware were ever figured in.

I'm not sure... It is just something that I've heard a couple of times and I don't agree with SPs income being included also. It's not their position to help pay support. 

Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.
                                         Marilyn vos Savant

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured