Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Here we go AGAIN

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 1:10 AM
  • 43 Replies

SD has been coming over sick for the last month and a half, every other weekend in that time period. Because of SS being in pre school we were doind an every other weekend schedule. 2 weeks ago, they came on a fri, SD coughing, sneezing etc, will never cover her nose or  mouth. When your eating, she always leans forward over every one elses plates??? IDK why, anyway that sunday I woke up with sore throat and it went from there, coughing sneezing ... Thankfully DD didnt catch it. OK by that weekend ( that we didnt have them) I was feeling alittle better. Back track,, AS SOON AS I GOT THEM IN THE CAR that prior weekend and i seen SD was runny nose and she started coughing, I called BM who always immediatly leaves as soon as she gets them out her car. I asked her why she didnt take SD to DR because she was sick the previous week also. SHe said " oh they wont do nothing till its bad enough to need a nebulizer"  WTF, ok .. back to story, I started feeling beeter the falling weekend ( they didnt come over) Then this last fri I picked them up, First thing i asked, "DID SD GO TO DR?" She said no she s better, I got kids in car got about 1 mile down the road, low and behold SD started coughing up a storm, i turn around she got all kinds of stuff coming out her nose. So I ask 5 yr old SS. Has your sister been sick this whole time ? He says yes mama didnt  take her to the dr.  OMFG.. I get home, this is this past fri... I try to call MY PED ( now DH has health ins on BOTH kids and BM HAS INSURANCE CARD!!!!) My Ped cant get her in over the weekend. I gave her cough med, put vicks on, put humidifier (cool) in the girls room. NOw I may add SD sleeps in my DDs room when she's here. Ok SO Sunday comes I take them to their BM. I said " Look you NEED to take SD to DR BEFORE she comes back to my house" Her response I"LL TRY. F^&$#%% B%$%@ ugh... Anyway yesterday I start with a runny nose AGAIN, sneezing... EXCEPT this time my 18 month old DD didnt escape it, her nose is running and she has a fever. UGH All weekend I spent spraying everything with lysol whild SD was here. Telling her and this is no lie every 5 MINS COVER YOUR MOUTH, when she was playng with DD she'd be coughing in her face. etc. IDK what the heck to do anymore. Half tempted to call SCP for medical neglect but how do I prove it. BM too busy with her new BF to care about bathing , cleaning, hygiene or medical care of these kids!!!!

hugs Mommy to 4 here and 2 in heaven

by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 1:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
packermomof2
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 1:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Sometimes a cold is just a long cold... around here there is something that is going around that lasts for weeks.  Sore throat, headache, fever, runny nose... it hits some harder that others.  No doctor worth going to is going to see a kid or an adult for a cold.  My daughter has had colds that lasted what seemed like forever... sometimes you just have to wait it out even if it seems to take that long.

Jodilegan
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Quoting packermomof2:

Sometimes a cold is just a long cold... around here there is something that is going around that lasts for weeks.  Sore throat, headache, fever, runny nose... it hits some harder that others.  No doctor worth going to is going to see a kid or an adult for a cold.  My daughter has had colds that lasted what seemed like forever... sometimes you just have to wait it out even if it seems to take that long.

THe cough sounds more like croup or pertussis, Its pretty scary. This girl is sick more then not since i met her when she was oh 10 months old. YEa its that bad... I understand colds like that can happen... but every couple weeks year round from 10 months to 3 1/2 years old??? This isn't anything new...and it sure as hell isnt normal!!! I have 4 other kids, nver have any of my kids been sick every couple weeks , and for weeks at a time each time. One time during the summer when we had them for a eek at a time, she came over sick.. I took her to my PED, she got antibiotic 10 days worth, she went back to BM with the remainder of the med o finish the course... AND CAME BACK A WEEK LATER WITH SAME AMOUNT IN BOTTLE!!! IT SHOULDVE BEEN FINISHED!!! I understand your point/possiblilty but i been dealing with this 3 years ...IM the only one who takes them even for their checkups. I took SD and found out BM hadn't gotten her shots since she was 12 months old!!! YEA

hugs Mommy to 4 here and 2 in heaven

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 1:56 AM
Does she have asthma?

Quoting Jodilegan:

Quoting packermomof2:

THe cough sounds more like croup or pertussis, Its pretty scary. This girl is sick more then not since i met her when she was oh 10 months old. YEa its that bad... I understand colds like that can happen... but every couple weeks year round from 10 months to 3 1/2 years old??? This isn't anything new...and it sure as hell isnt normal!!! I have 4 other kids, nver have any of my kids been sick every couple weeks , and for weeks at a time each time. One time during the summer when we had them for a eek at a time, she came over sick.. I took her to my PED, she got antibiotic 10 days worth, she went back to BM with the remainder of the med o finish the course... AND CAME BACK A WEEK LATER WITH SAME AMOUNT IN BOTTLE!!! IT SHOULDVE BEEN FINISHED!!! I understand your point/possiblilty but i been dealing with this 3 years ...IM the only one who takes them even for their checkups. I took SD and found out BM hadn't gotten her shots since she was 12 months old!!! YEA

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Steamedpuddle30
by Hi, my name is... on Jun. 13, 2012 at 2:44 AM
This has happened in our home w love,colds,fevers..ect.

It reall sucks. BM doesn't really help w these things but the most you can do is take Care of it when sd is w your Dh.

U can order a New card for your family. My Dh has I think 4 cards. One we have BM,I have one,Dh has one and ones in the house. besides that I can't think of anything else.

beleive me,btdt. I was literally sick and tired of my dd's catching fevers bc BM had them living in so many places that they always had something going on. I'd let dh take sd to dr.But idk if BM will follow up w the meds.

We just had to deal w it. Even on her week,shed drop them off w me and my dd's. Which would catch it. It made me very angry,but idk if there much you can do.

Hopefully sd feels better bc I wouldn't want my kids catching all of this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redmonleigh
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 4:13 AM

Sounds to me like if you have the parental rights to take her to the doctors as well, the next time she comes sick save yourself some headache and just make the arrangements to take her yourself. Obviously BM isnt going to step up so it looks like its on your shoulders....which isnt right but.......

pseudomamma
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 4:58 AM

I'd take her myself next time, even if it's to a prompt care type facility.  If you get meds, send them home, and if she doesn't give them to her, then start with the lawyer.  Not giving a child her meds is a form of neglect.

MamaK313
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 8:58 AM
If she has asthma I would get her to a doctor. My sister has asthma that is triggered by her catching any type of cold. She ended up in ICU with a code cart outside her door when she was nine years old all because she caught a common cold. It scares the hell out of me. :-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShannaBee
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I understand your frustration. My SS was constantly sick a lot too, and I always griped about BM not taking him to the doctor. It's not like it wouldn't cost her anything, he is on Medicaid. I do understand that you cannot rush the kid to the doctor over every little cold, sneeze or sniffle. Some colds they can fight on their own. But my SS always wound up with bad ear infections from untreated colds. Once, during a visitation, we took him to the ER because he was so miserable and he said his ear was hurting. It was so red and infected, the doctor said he could not believe his ear drum hadn't busted yet and that it was one of the nastiest ear infections he'd ever seen. Weeks before, DH had been telling her that since SS is constantly sick, he needs to go to the doctor. Even my inlaws told BM that she needed to take him. But you can't tell her what to do.

Because ot the ear infections, BM has been better about taking him to the doctor.

pepper504
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Quoting pseudomamma:

I'd take her myself next time, even if it's to a prompt care type facility.  If you get meds, send them home, and if she doesn't give them to her, then start with the lawyer.  Not giving a child her meds is a form of neglect.

This.

1SpaZZedMom
by Librarian on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:08 AM

That was going to by my question. 

My SD was continually "sick" with cold-like symptoms until DH took her to the Dr and we found out she had asthma.

@Jodi: My suggestion is that you have DH make an appointment with the physician that SD goes to and have her evaluated for Asthma. If BM said oh they wont do nothing till its bad enough to need a nebulizer that right there pretty much says that she *might believe* SD has asthma but, is afraid to take her and get the diganosis? JMO...

Quoting Polkadotted:

Does she have asthma?

Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.
                                         Marilyn vos Savant

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured