Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

TV in the bedroom

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 7:40 AM
  • 45 Replies

Poll

Question: Is there a TV in your child's bedroom?

Options:

Yes, with rules and parental controls

Yes, it's a free for all

No, but not b/c you won't allow

No, TV rots brains

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 58

View Results

BM attorney presented that DH and I are not responsible parents, his reason?  SS13 and SS10 have a TV in their bedroom.  It does not matter that they are only allowed 30 minutes per school day for video games or TV. It does not matter that they have to earn that time by doing chores.  It does not matter that all parental controls are set and they cannot watch anything rated PG13 or above.  We are horrible parents for allowing them to have a TV in the bedroom.

Do your kids have TVs?  What do you think is the appropriate age for a child to be allowed to have a TV?

Edit:  For those with kids who share a room and who have a TV in a bedroom:  What do you do when one child is on restriction and loses TV/ video games?  Does the sibling also lose the TV?

by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 7:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
baparrot2
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this

wow. That attorney wouldnt like me!

ndirishchic06
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 8:20 AM
SSs are 7 and 8 and they aren't responsible enough to have a TV in their room, last time they did they destroyed it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ManicAttack
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 8:46 AM

SS8 has basic cable in his room.  

I think as long as the kids aren't sitting in front of it 24/7 there's nothing wrong with having TVs in their bedrooms as young as 5.  Most kids don't start enjoying TV until they're in elementary school anyway, because they can't focus on TV for long.

MommySabs
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 9:06 AM
All of our kids have tvs in their rooms but they really only watch them at bed time with sleep timers, so I voted free for all bc we really don't have specific rules about it but our kids are active and are always outside or playing together. We keep all the video game systems hooked up in common areas not in their rooms.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 9:14 AM

It's an attorney's job to use whatever (true stipulation) they can to win the case for their clients.

It's not unusual that an attorney would use this.  He's just doing his job. Maybe it will help his case and maybe it won't.

angelmommy2806
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 9:29 AM

The only Tv we have is in the living room.

Tryshx
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 9:34 AM

SS is almost 5 and has a TV in his room, but it remains unplugged unless DH or I plug it in for him to watch a movie (Mostly PBS shows on DVD actually) once he's earned it (having a good listening day or cleaning up his toys without being asked, etc..).  He knows if it's on and it's not supposed to be it'll be taken away.

lilangilyn
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 9:39 AM

I doubt it will help his case. TVs in children's rooms are not considered abusive or even bad parenting. They are considered a life style choice.

RubyLu
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 9:45 AM

That's definitely a high priority court issue... Seriously. I would have laughed out loud!

No Tv's in their bedrooms, but they're 3 and 5. I never had one growing up. When I moved out I had one, and it messed up my sleeping. So I don't even like a TV in my bedroom now. Just something else I have to dust! :)

needsupport100
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

remove it for the duration of the claim, then set back up when it's over (everyone else does Lol)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)