Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Hair Cuts

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 12:19 PM
  • 31 Replies

A Utah judge ordered that two girls  (aged 13 and 11) get their hair cut in court after they cut a 3 year olds hair in a McDonalds (in Utah).  Apparently it was assualt to cut a kids hair without mom and dads permission.

Sound like a fair punishment for adults who cut other peoples kids hair without both parents permission also? 

I am not saying I agree or disagree with the punishment.

by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SassyMom25
by Gold Member on Jun. 23, 2012 at 12:49 PM
Should that apply to a parent who does it without consent of the other parent? Given its an issue between the parents.

I've cut SS10s hair for over 5 years. BM complained once about him not having a 'little boys haircut', whatever that meant, as I cut it the same as he had always had it. BM refused to take him (didn't want to pay) and wouldn't do it herself.

As with most things, I think it should be situational. Kids cutting hair is generally different than an adult doing it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
packermomof2
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Quoting SassyMom25:

As with most things, I think it should be situational. Kids cutting hair is generally different than an adult doing it.

I'm looking at it more from the kids and adults who aren't the parent cutting it against the parents wishes point of view. 

TheStepMonster
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 1:11 PM
Why is hair cutting such a hill. I get your sitch, packer, you're CP, BF and SM are douches. But if SM asks BF permission to take SKs to get hair cut and he says yes, then the point (made in the OP) is moot, no? SM has the permission of a BP.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SassyMom25
by Gold Member on Jun. 23, 2012 at 1:25 PM
So if the parents don't agree on a nonparent cutting or taking a kid to get it cut, who gets the final say?

Quoting packermomof2:

Quoting SassyMom25:

I'm looking at it more from the kids and adults who aren't the parent cutting it against the parents wishes point of view. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelmommy2806
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Not sure how I feel about that. I'd be pissed if older kids cut my 3yr olds hair, but I wouldn't be happy if my kids Had to have their hair cut.

Bells2000
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd like to know more about the case to really answer.

Was it two girls being mean/cruel to a third, by cutting her hair/ruining it. Thus, the judge decided an eye for an eye? etc.

It doesn't seem like a fair comparison to say what a child should not do, is also what an adult should not do.  There are different rules/guidelines on what kids and adults can and can't do. An adult can buy liquor, a kid should not. etc.

Kids should not be in charge of other kids, in how they are raised/growing up. That's what parents are for.

If a parent is taking care of their child, including the personal hygiene issues, then why would that become a crime? Its one thing if they are taking a chainsaw to someones hair for a backyard redneck hair cut....... its another if they are taking them to the barber for a professional to do it.

luckystars2012
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 3:50 AM
Unless a CO says otherwise, you don't need BOTH parents "approval" you only need one.

I would never bother asking bm for her permission to get SS a haircut. And TBH I don't ask Js "permission" either. Whichever one of us notices first will generally say something about it, and we look at our schedules and whoever is free takes him. We make these kinds of decisions as a team, we agree on what kind of haircuts and clothes and whatnot are acceptable here, and if we have an issue with something we talk to each other about it, not bm. Her voice doesn't have any ground within my walls.

I have taken him before without even telling SO, and it wasn't a big deal. If BM ever tried to birtch about it J would tell her to take a hike ( bm is not allowed to communicate with me).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pero1
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 4:09 AM

Quoting TheStepMonster:

Why is hair cutting such a hill. I get your sitch, packer, you're CP, BF and SM are douches. But if SM asks BF permission to take SKs to get hair cut and he says yes, then the point (made in the OP) is moot, no? SM has the permission of a BP.

I strongly believe that haircuts should be agreed between both parents ... you can't glue it back on if the other parents doesn't like it, can you?

packermomof2
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 4:37 AM

Quoting TheStepMonster:

Did you see something in my post that referenced my situation?

I saw this on MSN and thought of this board and all the ladies who think it shouldn't be a hill for the parents...

lilangilyn
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 8:53 AM
3 moms liked this

I am thinking these were complete strangers who had to get a child alone in some way to assault the child. I think their punishment was way too easy.

I took SS to the barber all the time. His dad was at work, I was on vacation. I didn't call Hammy to ask her. Again, your analogies are just stupid and becoming redundant.

Apples and oranges. One is strangers in McDonald's, the other is a stepparent who has been asked to do something by a bio parent.

I guess in your world, stepmoms have to ask permission from a bio mom to wipe a baby's ass. Get over youself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN