If you read my posts at the beginning of the summer you know that my skids have been with BM who lives out of state for almost a month now. For the past two weeks my SD10 has been asking my DH to bring her home early but we wanted her to have more time with BM. I just spoke with BM last night and she sounded like she was extremely frustrated, she told me the sooner the kids come home the better because things just arn't going well over there. My SD told me that she only wants two things for her birthday (which is in mid-July) a new bike and to come home. SS8 is also ready to come back. Basically the reason for all this is that BM has 3 stepkids along with her 3 kids right now, they are all supposed to stay for the whole summer. My oldest SD is 12 and has autism and she is supposed to stay with BM after the summer since we had decided to have her live there next school year. BM's skids are 7,9 and 17, the 17 yr old lives with them full time. So my SD10 and her SD9 have to share a room at her house but my SD cannot stand her stepsister, they fight constantly and my SS is also beginning to fight wih her. BM is totally stressed out having 6 kids in the house and she told me last night that since the kids have been leaving food around the house they now have mice. She also says that they can barely afford to feed all 8 people living in the house.
So my question is this. DH and I will both be out of town for work-related things in the beginning of July. The earliest the kids can come back is the 15th of July. But if they come back then they would have to fly home which we did not plan on because usually we meet BM half way. At the beginning of the summer we had driven the kids all the way to BM's house (9 hour drive) as a favor but we expected she would drive the majority of the way back. BM says she cannot afford to help pay the plane tickets but that she will pay us back for half if we purchase them. The only other option is to wait until the end of the summer when were able to meet her halfway. Were just not sure what to do at this point though. Technically, BM should be the one paying for most of the plane tickets because we drove them but I doubt she would be willing to pay us back more then half. What would you do in this situation?