Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

lice..... ugh! advice? suggestions? comments?

ok.. where to start..

my SS's go to their BM's house every weekend. Well, ever since BM moved back in with her mom's house( 3B2B trailer with 11 ppl living there, with 2 dogs and 4 cats), the boys have had a lice problem. SO and i get the boys back from them with bugs in their hair and WE take care of it and make sure they are bug and nit free before they go to BM's house... next thing you know they come back with more bugs...BM says her sister can't get rid of the lice in her hair and that is where its coming from but as far as SO and I are concerned, we dont care who has it we just want it taken care of over there because our poor babies dont need to deal with that... i know head lice is something that happens at least once with children but not over 20 times in one year!!!!!! my SS that is 5 will be starting kindergarten this year and i know that the school wont tolerate it.. not to mention i dont want to be investigate for something BM's family should be investigated for... plus my 4 year old son gets it from them from time to time, which makes it one more child i have to treat... and he is starting head start this year... and they wont tolerate either... its not fair to our boys and it is not fair to us... BM's house has too many animals running in and out of the house, too many ppl living there with 2 different new borns, in fested with lice and little german cockroaches..., .. we finally told ehr that the boys arent going to her house this weekend because they need to bomb the house.. i told my SO(since i am the one that treats em because SO is always working when i get the boys from BM on mondays) that is i got them back and they had bugs in their heads after i just treated them, that i would report that house hold ...BUT MY QUESTION IS..WOULD THAT DO ANY GOOD? SUGGESTIONS? COMMENTS? RESPECTFUL PLEASE.

<3 BECCA <3

by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Replies (21-28):
TempestRayne
by Donna on Jun. 30, 2012 at 9:57 PM

I just want to say that I wouldn't blame you for not wanting your Skids to go back there. It seems excessive for twenty treatments in the past year.

ame4c
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

When I had a hard time getting rid of the lice in my house, I talked to my DR and he told me to dye our hair.  All the men in the house buzzed their heads and my dd and I dyed ours.  It worked.  Evidently Lice do not like hair product so the hair gel suggestion was good and I've heard the mayo and olive oil thing as well.  I also had started using olive oil shampoo as it was suppose to have a repel affect.  I found it at walmart near the shampoo for african americans.  I have fine blonde hair and was worried it would leave my hair oily but it didn't it actually softened it and worked quit well.

All the other suggestions about calling CPS and documenting it with the DR are all important as well.  Even if they have an insider at CPS, any report has to be investigated.  You have to try for the kids sake.  Also, get a lawyer and find out what needs to be done to get this woman supervised visits.

ame4c

Cambriagurlmom
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 4:26 AM

My sister had the worst problem picking them up at school (she is ocd clean) After we discovered both her and I are allergic to the otc lice treatments we found that listerine (orginal kind works best but the blue makes it easier to see the nits) and coconut oil. You can't control the problem if they keep being re-introduced into the same inviroment. I would report because it can be a health problem.

Tiffersmu
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 6:37 AM
This! You could probably even turn it into something positive for her so she will agree to do this. Like, "they just keep passing it back and forth why don't we keep the kids for awhile to make sure theirs IS gone while you get it cleared up at your house.'

Quoting sandeeyo:

That's so gross.  Why don't you offer to keep the kids until BM gets her lice prob under control?  Will she do that?  That's just plain nasty!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tiffersmu
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 6:41 AM
Now I'm itchy. When my SD had it we combed and combed and combed. We also cut the strands of hair with the nits! We were told coconut shampoo helps but mainly I think the trick is in the combing. We boiled hot water and kept dipping the comb in that. I also found a lore natural lice cleaner bc I read that they are becoming immune to the normal stuff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AprilandAbby
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 6:58 AM

well i would suggest deep cleaning all the funiture, bed and all clothes.. then (bear with me) use karosen in the hair. i know it sounds nuts but i had it once when i was younger got it at school and my mother used karoseen and it killed all the bugs and eggs :P yukie. but hey i never had a problem with it ever again. let me know how it works out for you. GOOD LUCK

1SpaZZedMom
by Librarian on Jul. 1, 2012 at 11:42 AM

If the GMA works in the DHS office, then the call needs to be made to the state offices. GMA is ignoring the health and safety of these children. You can make a formal complaint against her and they can investigate her. If it is HER house and she is living in these conditions, that isn't going to be good for her job. (Yes, it's a total bitch move, however it is all about the poor children, not GMAs job!)

Quoting BeautifulBottom:

She supposedly got the prescription... She never told us until we said we arent lettin her keep the boys this weekend... Wierd timing huh... And the only thing that sucks is that BM's mom that is the owner and provider of the house works in the DHS office so she knows ways around everyting.. When there is much more they do or dont do not including lice

Quoting 1SpaZZedMom:

I haven't read all of your replies...

Has CPS been contacted at all? What about the Health Department? Most states have an "occupancy limit" of like 2 to 3 people PER bedroom... It goes with State/Federal Fire Code. If I remember correctly, it is Federal for 2 bodies per bedroom. I may be wrong as I don't have time to look it up at the moment. 11 people in a 3 bedroom would be breaking that.

If the house is nastified and dirty - CPS needs to be on them to clean it up. If it is unsanitary, the kids can be removed and placed in your house. 

Sometimes, it is a nasty fight to get someone to work with NCP on issues like this. Have you taken them to the DR? and gotten prescriptions for Rid or Nix? That way it is documented that they do have lice with a physician? *curious* And, the most that these do is paralyze the Lice for a short period of time to make it easier to catch them - it does NOT kill them...

Quoting BeautifulBottom:

I believe ive found my new best friend! I have done most of that but will definitely try the rest .. Our issue is BM working with us.. Their house is so nasty the only good idea on how to clean it and rid it of bugs is burn it down...

Quoting 1SpaZZedMom:

Here are some things that you can do to make sure that you stop it from spreading around your house. 

Use a rosemary scented shampoo/conditioner. At Walgreen's (probably CVS too) or any pharmacy - there are preventatives to use. I have used the "Lice Shield" brand of repellant spray. There is also a shampoo/conditioner of the same brand. 

Shaving the boys hair into a buzz or military style fade is a very good idea. 

Put Rosemary sprigs under their pillows. Wash their bedding every morning as soon as they get up. 

Another one is Cetafil (sp?) face wash. Put it on their head, dry it with a hair dryer. It shrink wraps the hair and kills the adults, nymphs and suffocates the nits as well. Do this ONCE a week.

DO NOT USE CONDITIONER! IT ACCELERATES THEIR GROWTH AND REPRODUCTION

You can use Olive Oil as well. Leave on for about 3 hours (with a shower cap) and wash out. It suffocates the adults/nymphs. And Apple Cider Vinegar - 30 minutes in the hair and wash out. It works on the Nits. Repeat once a week.

Once 7 days of being bug free and nit free, they will start to be in the clear. After 14 days of being bug and nit free - so close! 21 days and you've beat it!

At BMs house - EVERYTHING needs to be washed in HOT water and dryed on HIGH heat. Any toys with "hair" (barbies, ponies if there are little girls), stuffed animals... should be bagged up and all the air squeezed out for AT LEAST 2 weeks. If they can't get all the bedding and clothing washed right away, bag it up in trash bags and squeeze out the air just like with the toys. The repellant that I mentioned earlier - is all natural and can be sprayed on matresses and pillows. Vacuum matresses - all sides and then put protective covers on to cover the entire matress.

It is a horrible fight to beat, but, it can be done if EVERYONE is working together doing the same things.

Besides Rosemary, Lavendar Oil works as well.... 

Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.
                                         Marilyn vos Savant

jlg12678
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2012 at 12:01 PM
Animals do not cause lice.

I'd personally tell my ex to get it under control or I'd call CPS. It's disgusting and wrong to have the kids get lice everytime they are in the other home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured