Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Question about giving bm dh's social security #......Update

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 2:15 PM
  • 23 Replies

Dh carries insurance on SD's. He has medical, dental, vision, and life insurance on all the kids. BM is getting the girl's check UPS before They start kindergarten. The card we gave her apparently won't pull up the dental and vision coverage, so she wants Dh's social security #. I do know the coverage can be pulled up with it, but we aren't crazy about giving out his number to her. I honestly don't think she'd do anything with it that she shouldn't, but we'd rather play it safe.

She sent a text to me saying the girls have a dental appointment today so she needs the number. Dh is sleeping. He got home from work at 8 and has to be back at work at 9 tonight. Would it be reasonable for me to ask for the dentists info so that i can call and give them the information? He has been working a lot and I hate to wake him up, especially since she knows he sleeps during the day and waited til now to ask.

Update: I sent a text that said to send the number and we would take care of it. So I called and gave them the information they needed to see the girls for their appointment. DH and BM were never married, so that is why she doesn't know his ss#.

Join us on:

by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamaofficer
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 2:20 PM
2 moms liked this
Get the # to the dental place, and give them the info youself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
packermomof2
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Maybe she's just asking to be nice.  I still know my ex's.  I ask him when I need something just as a courtesy, if he didn't give it to me that would be his choice.  I'd still get the appointment taken care of because I know it.

Kat31
by Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 2:24 PM
I thought most people knew their spouse's ss#. I know my ex husband's.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babygirlsmom314
by Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 2:26 PM
This. I do think it is strange that they wouldn't be able to look it up by the number on the card. I call BS on her. I worked in a dental office and very rarely would we need someone's ssn.

Quoting mamaofficer:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KamiB79
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 2:28 PM
She honestly doesn't know it. They were only together for a couple months and she ended up pregnant. So never any reason for her to need it.

Our relationship with bm isn't horrible, but there have been issues in the past. Dh is just worried because his social is tied to his 401k, other insurance policies, etc.. All someone would need to screw up that stuff is to know all the correct information and I'm sure she knows address, phone .#, dob, etc.....

Quoting packermomof2:

Maybe she's just asking to be nice.  I still know my ex's.  I ask him when I need something just as a courtesy, if he didn't give it to me that would be his choice.  I'd still get the appointment taken care of because I know it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KamiB79
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 2:29 PM
DH and BM were never married. They were only together for a few months.

I know it and am willing to call the dental place with the number.

Quoting Kat31:

I thought most people knew their spouse's ss#. I know my ex husband's.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KamiB79
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 2:31 PM
I took our 3 kids to the eye doctor and couldn't fond the card. They were able to pull up the coverage info with DH's social. I know it can be done, but if she has the cards it shouldn't be needed.

Quoting babygirlsmom314:

This. I do think it is strange that they wouldn't be able to look it up by the number on the card. I call BS on her. I worked in a dental office and very rarely would we need someone's ssn.

Quoting mamaofficer:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babygirlsmom314
by Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 2:33 PM
Yes, exactly. That was the only time we would need their ssn.

Quoting KamiB79:

I took our 3 kids to the eye doctor and couldn't fond the card. They were able to pull up the coverage info with DH's social. I know it can be done, but if she has the cards it shouldn't be needed.

Quoting babygirlsmom314:

Quoting mamaofficer:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RubyLu
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Considering how important a ssn is, and what you can do with it, I would never give it out to anyone, especially not an ex that might do something bad with it.
I know people who were in thousands of dollars in debt because someone used their ssn to open credit cards and racked up the bills.

I would call the dentists office, they should be able to do the whole thing over the phone if they actually need it.

Bells2000
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 3:18 PM
id call the dentist office and give them the info.

if dh wants to give bm his social, thats his choice. I am pretty sure bm knows my dh's ss#.i thought i saw it on the divorce papers? Not sure. But it was a paper i know she got a copy of.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)