Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Who should get their own room?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 2:31 PM
  • 15 Replies
My husband and i think we found a 3bedroom house to rent but we have 2 kids and then there is my sd. My husband and i will have one room but who gets the other ones. My sd is 9 my ds is almost 2 and my 55 is 7weeks old. I want my son to have his own bedroom cause hes the only boy. I just dont know what to do with the other one. We get my sd eow but she normally only spends one night with us then one night with her great grandparents. So she is only with us 2 nights out of the month. My dd is only 7w but when she is about 7months old we will probably move her out of our room. We cant put both the girls together because of the age difference. My sds toys are to dangerous to be around a baby. We cant afford a 4bedroom house right now. And even tho i want ds to have his own room ive thought about putting sd and ds together cause they share a room now but he is always getting in her things and then of course she is getting older and doesnt need to share a room with a lil boy. So what should we do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angelmommy2806
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 2:40 PM
Where does your SD sleep now? Imo I'd either give the 2 younger ones their own room and have a bed in your Dd's room for SD when she's there or put the younger ones together until they get older. We have a 3Bd and since SD was the only girl she got a room to herself. If Ds was a girl SD would have been sharing a room.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rocknmom85
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 2:41 PM

That's a tough one. If I were you I would give DS and DD their own rooms and then just put a bed in your DD's room form when SD spends the night. It is only twice a month so when SD is not there then you can lock up her toys so you DD doesn't get into them.

USBrit
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Um, 2 days a months does not require their own bedroom. Hopefully she has that the other 28 days of the month.  A bedroom is for sleeping and for a child to have their own space. However, I think it would be fine to put a bed in with your new baby at least for a few years. It won't be like your baby will ever be in there playing by herself right away. That would give SD a place to spend alone time, without infringing on your son. Then in a couple of years just re-evaluate the situation. Our babies stayed in our room for at least the first 6 months, then they went into their own rooms. 2 days a month should not create too much drama.

nmaxwell816
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Quoting rocknmom85:

That's a tough one. If I were you I would give DS and DD their own rooms and then just put a bed in your DD's room form when SD spends the night. It is only twice a month so when SD is not there then you can lock up her toys so you DD doesn't get into them.

mrswillie
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 2:45 PM

The girls can go in a room together.  

Consider giving the girls the master bedroom and splitting it with a partition.  I did this with my sons.  They are 8 years apart.

gypsy_rose
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 2:45 PM
Does it have a finished basment or attick? personaly what i would do is give her the closet in DD room with a lock. all her stuff goes in there when she is not visiting. you could get cot to so the bed does not take up extra space when she is not there. when ur dd is older maybe geta bunk or a captians with a trundle bed. they have some comy cots untill then. if she is only there 2 nights a week she does NOT need her own private room.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Quoting rocknmom85:

I somewhat disagree with this.  Step daughter needs to feel a sense of home there also.  Even though she is only there eow, dh is still her dad.  She should not be treated as a guest, but more like the other kids.

Dh an I have been together for more then 11years.  We are a blended family.  When we got together my ds's were 4 and 12...his dd's were 4 and 9.

His 4 year old was the only one that didn't live with us full time.

Join us in Family Vacations & Getaways!

rocknmom85
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I agree with you but only to the extent that it's possible and reasonable. Since DD and DS cannot share a room for more then a  few years eventually they will need to have their own rooms. At that point then SD will have to share a room with DD but 90% of the time it will be only DD's room so it only makes sense to make it more geared toward DD. SD has another room with BM while for DD, that is her only room. I get making SD feel like she is a member of the family but not put out the other kids in the process. 

Quoting mrswillie:

Quoting rocknmom85:

I somewhat disagree with this.  Step daughter needs to feel a sense of home there also.  Even though she is only there eow, dh is still her dad.  She should not be treated as a guest, but more like the other kids.

Dh an I have been together for more then 11years.  We are a blended family.  When we got together my ds's were 4 and 12...his dd's were 4 and 9.

His 4 year old was the only one that didn't live with us full time.

1boy1girlmama
by Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 3:02 PM

My SS and my DS are 8.5 yrs. apart. When my DD came along (SS was 12) I had to put my DS and my SS in the same room as we only had 3 bedroom houses. It wasn't ideal but it worked. I wouldn't worry about her toys and such. Just put them up when she isn't there and take them out when she is. I got the boys bunkbeds (eventually) and it worked out nicely. Only being there twice a month, she does not need her own room. Again, if it's only twice a month you DD will be find sharing a room with her sister. Eventually they will even look forward to it because it's like a sleep over. Even though the boys are 8 yrs. apart they would have fun sharing a room, making forts ect. 

Now they are 7 & 15 and we finally moved into a bigger house so SS has his own room when he is here (which is rarely, it doubles as a guest room). At 15 he def. needs his own space.

Brittanyk3
by Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 3:03 PM
i would have your DD and stepDD share a room. have a bed for stepDD and maybe go to walmart and get one of those closets you put together. stepDD can put her clothes and toys in there.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)