Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Is it too much to ask...

Posted by   + Show Post

that SO's daughter stay with me for ONE MONTH after he leaves for deployment so she can finish her first year of school at the same place and not get moved from her school when she has a month and a half left??? 

Apparently to BM....that is unimaginable. 

by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 1:46 AM
Replies (91-93):
OregonMom80
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM
Bummer that headstart has turned into glorified daycare! When I went, it was preschool and they taught us stuff (except I already knew how to read at 3). I was ahead already when I started kindergarten and was in 1st/2nd split for 1st grade.

Sad that they aren't doing what they're supposed to do and giving the kids a start on their education :-(

Quoting alissaplusthree:

OregonMom80
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 3:30 PM
I get that routine is important and I think offering BM a deal to finish her schedule, then start "summer" with BM and giving BM the extra month after SO is back is a great idea. Given what E posted, I have a feeling BM won't take the extra time anyway once it rolls around.
atownrb
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this
This exactly!!! Also a military brat and military wife! You took the words right out of my mouth!!

Quoting ArmyWife0606:

I think the focus of this whole thing is in the wrong place.  As a military brat AND military wife, I'm more concerned about how the 3year old is going to handle Dad's deployment and being in a home she's not as comfortable with.  I don't think this whole thing is really about her missing 'school'  I think Dad is trying to figure out a way to lessen the amount of changes happening at once.  I mean, Dad deploys one day and the next this 3 year old is shipped off to a home that isn't hers (according to the 3 year old)?  That's gotta be tough for most kids, much less a 3 year old. I think it might actually help the little girl to remain in her normal schedule for a period of time (maybe not the entire 6 weeks) before going to BM's house.  At 3 years old, she may decide to associate Dad's leaving with BM since she was sent to BM at the same time Dad left and she could end up blaming BM for Dad leaving. However, I do see the issues in having the girl stay with Dad's girlfriend.  If she were actually step-mom, it might be a little different.  Maybe BM could come spend some time with the girl in her normal surroundings before taking her to BM's house.  No one knows how children will handle deployments, but having to uproot herself and move somewhere else for 10 months is just going to compound everything. I think easing the transition would be the best answer....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN