Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

dd called bm "mommy"

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 1:36 AM
  • 28 Replies
3 moms liked this
Dd is 20 months old and when bm picked up sd tonight dd said "hi mommy" and when she left she said "bye mommy." I didn't correct her because to her it makes sense. Big Sissy calls her Mommy so I should too. Dh didn't really like it, but seriously they are so young so who cares :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 1:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
E_is_4_Ethan
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 1:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I was taking my son Ethan 7 with autism to school one day, and he said... mommy I want 2 mommies like SS. Why don't I have 2 mommies?

LOL

squeakersmama
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 1:48 AM
That's adorable!
I just hope bm wasn't uncomfortable with dd calling her mommy. Bm is really sweet to dd so I'm sure she doesn't care, but I don't know if I should bring it up or not. I'm sure this was the first of many times this will happen lol.

Quoting E_is_4_Ethan:

I was taking my son Ethan 7 with autism to school one day, and he said... mommy I want 2 mommies like SS. Why don't I have 2 mommies?

LOL

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
funsized_mom
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 2:04 AM

My biological son with my husband calls my ex-husband Daddy Reuben. He's little, but I think it helps him feel connected to the his sisters. Luckily my Ex and my husband are cool with it. Additionally, it gives the girls a way to talk about their biological dad to their brother who would get confused if they just called him daddy since that's not his daddy.  Now what's funny is that my SD's BM wrote a scathing email to my husband saying that she did not want their daughter referring to my EX as Daddy Reuben because that was not her daddy.  One would think that if her biological dad does not care why would BM?  In any case we've found that it's best to let the kiddos use whatever names they are comfortable with.

Hope this helps.

Happy Trails,

Fun Sized Mom

zannahdeux
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 6:46 AM
Good for you! Yes it makes sense to her! I will have the same problem shortly....I am sure my own son will call me by my first name often like his step siblings do...lol
lovehimforever
by Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 6:51 AM
My son went through a phase before I got with dh where he would call random men in public with their kids "daddy" he was confused cuz he didn't have one. I simply handled it by instead of correcting him I would say "yes he's is a daddy"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 7:18 AM

It makes sense now and if she continues to do it then it will always make sense.  At what point do you start teaching your child what is right and what is wrong? 

If it makes sense for her to touch the hot stove because Mommy does while cooking are you going to allow her to do that as well?  I mean really, who cares? ;)

Prayin4Serenity
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:28 AM
I dropped SD off to bm the other day and my DS (3) was with us. He was so upset that his sister left, he wanted to go too. On the drive home he said "I want mama" I said "you've got me honey" and he says"no I want Nikki's mama" LOL! Bless his heart.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShannaBee
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 4:27 PM

If you think it's cute and alirght with it, then it's ok. Personally I would have corrected my child, lol.

dallas4nu
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 4:31 PM
Ouch. I wouldn't like that. I really won't like if/when dd calls me by my first name either. Granted, they don't understand but she's MINE I'm the only one that has earned that title! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
squeakersmama
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 5:06 PM
We teach her right and wrong! She knows the stove is "duper hot" and we don't touch it. Calling bm "mommy" doesn't fall into the right and wrong category. She understands "black and white" rules, but this is a grey rule. Life isn't black and white and I don't pretend it is when I raise my kids.

Quoting WifeyC:

It makes sense now and if she continues to do it then it will always make sense.  At what point do you start teaching your child what is right and what is wrong? 

If it makes sense for her to touch the hot stove because Mommy does while cooking are you going to allow her to do that as well?  I mean really, who cares? ;)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)