Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

WTH?!!!!

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 9:44 AM
  • 33 Replies

Scenario: I get off work I pickup the kids then go over to my moms to get my 4month old. Any-whoo, ss decided to play with my daughter and lock her out the house by locking the screen door on her. I tell him to open the door. SS goes out and comes back in without unlocking the door. DD is still screaming open the door!

I go out there and asked why he locked it and he had nothing to say. So therefore I spanked his hand and he gestured as if he wanted to hit me, started flaring his nostrils,gritting his teeth and told me Don't touch me and Why you have to touch me! I explained to him as long as he is under my roof and I am his parent then you need to listen and do what you are told. Then SS started crying. I made him sit on the porch until we were ready to leave.

Following day SS came in the kitchen and brought up that situation. He couldn't explain it to me and I was confused on how he had felt. I then had to be really Stern with him to let him know that if you do anything wrong or out of line you will get disciplined. If it was Dh, ss would have not said a word.

I can't help but think that he is thinking that because I am not REAL mom; im not for sure. When I asked him does he understand that when he acts up there will be consequences, he says yes.

I'm very confused. If ss understands then why did he bring up that situation again? I do not want him thinking that I discipline him for no reason. Because that is not the case at all. I do not want this to escalate and get completely outta hand.

Have you been in this situation before? How did you resolve it? ANy suggestions?

by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 9:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoochieLibre
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Are you CSM?

lilangilyn
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 9:54 AM
2 moms liked this

Keep your hands to yourself is the best advice I can give you. If he were older, chances are he would haul off and hit you back.

lilangilyn
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 9:54 AM

And I wouldn't blame him.

jeriballinger
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lilangilyn:

Keep your hands to yourself is the best advice I can give you. If he were older, chances are he would haul off and hit you back.

really? for smacking him on the hand?

baparrot2
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

This is not the type of child you spank or physically discipline. Please find another approach.

leegirl_jm
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this
Don't put your hands on other people's children, in this case, you should have used very strong verbal discipline, that can be more stinging than a slap on the hand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baparrot2
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Remember, spanking is the easy way out.

LyndaLoo78
by Skeletor on Aug. 17, 2012 at 10:24 AM
2 moms liked this
I agree with lilang and parrt; do NOT physically discipline this child.

Perhaps your stepchild is uncomfortable with any form of physical discipline (and rightly so) but lacks the vocabulary and communication skills to effectively address this with you. I have a child who absolutely cannot be physically disciplined under any circumstances; I would be extremely upset to find SM had utilized physical discipline tactics.

Additionally I do not believe physical discipline as a punishment fit the crime in this case.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
duckiesgurl
by Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 10:28 AM
2 moms liked this
Wow you laides really know how to nit pick. I do the smack on the hand as well its not that bad. As for step son i do the same for him. If he were to raise a hand to me he would have sit in time out as well as have gotten a talk from DH. I think he might have brought it up maybe to let you know that he sorry... That if he understands that he will be punished for the bad things he does then maybe he was trying to say sorry or maybe there was more to situtation then you saw.
As for these bitches that are willing to attack you for this ignore them most of them do so cuz they wont say this to a mom they see doing the same thing in a store. This makes them feel better about themsevles.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
5andme
by Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 10:28 AM
Yes i have been there and i wouldnt have done anything different. Everyone has a different opinion on this issue but it all goes back to your own unique situation
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)