Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Ex wife keeping the same last name as your husband...

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:02 PM
  • 259 Replies
1 mom liked this

Ex wife keeping the same last name as your husband... Any women dealing with this? Also what are your thoughts on this topic? If you get a divorce from your husband (weather he leaves you or vice versa) would you change your last name back?

by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dragonfly06
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Been married almost 8 years and never changed my last name to DH's.

dallas4nu
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:10 PM
4 moms liked this
I don't like it but oh well, there isn't much I can do about it. I personally think people should be required to change it back. But that's just me.

Idk why anyone would want to keep their ex last name but again, I can't do anything about it lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mindaria
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Same I didn't change mine also (8 years as well). Did your husband have an issue with it? Mine didn't care, it's just a name he said.

Quoting dragonfly06:

photomom1979
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:12 PM
I still have my ex's last name even though I'm the one who left. In all honesty I just haven't felt like going through all the trouble of changing it......
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SimplyLoula
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:15 PM
3 moms liked this
My father's first wife kept his last name till her death last year. So, for years we referred to her as Mrs. (our last name) even though my mom was also known as Mrs. (our last name.). Mom never had an issue with that. Her only complaint is that to this day she is still known as dad's second wife.

I never thought anything of it of the first wife keeping dad's last name. They had 5 kids together. Why should she change her name? Didn't she get that last name legally? It's not like she stole it.

I kept my ex's last name till I remarried. Not one person had an issue with it. Of course, changing it before I got remarried didn't make sense since my daughter has BF's last name. That was just me though.

LyndaLoo78
by Skeletor on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:16 PM
4 moms liked this
I still have xh's name; it's just a pain in the ass to change it back. I have no emotional attachment to it at all. I think SM's invest far more emotionally in this issue than most BMs do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dragonfly06
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I was thisclose to having him change his last name to mine, but alas MIL freaked out & he changed his mind, lol. I think it bothers him some but he never brings it up. Needless to say, his family had a big issue with it. They were really concerned with our boys getting his last name or of me hyphenating their last names.

How do your in-laws feel about it?  

Quoting Mindaria:

Same I didn't change mine also (8 years as well). Did your husband have an issue with it? Mine didn't care, it's just a name he said.

Quoting dragonfly06:

Mindaria
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:19 PM

I'm on the fence about it. But it is probably easy for me to not have a strong oppion since I am not faced with the isse. I was asked the question once and it has always stuck with me. So I was curious to see how others felt. 

shoot4thestars
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Thankfully DH was never married to his ex, but she married her boyfriend anyways.  If I divorced, I would contemplate changing my name back.  If something happens to us, I don't plan on remarrying, but I also don't want to go through life having to say my last name, spell it, repeat it again, and respell it about 5 more times and people still not getting it right...lol  So frustrating!!  If I knew it was going to be this aggravating, I would have just kept my maiden name in the first place.

Steamedpuddle30
by Hi, my name is... on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:21 PM
2 moms liked this
It bothered me a lot at first that BM had his last name. Bc what's the point? If my Dh left me I would go back to my last name. But thats me.

But I liked my last name before. Lol. It's very much a pride thing I guess for me. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN