Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

2 1/2 yo and PlayDoh

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:26 PM
  • 36 Replies

My SS is 2 1/2 and I wanted to get some playdoh for him. I've done research and it says that it is for ages 2+. My SS grandmother called me out and said NO he is to young to play with it. That her other grandaughter was a mess and that she couldn't even use markers without getting it everywhere. Are we comparing children?? My SS can use markers without making a mess, listens when told not to do something ( may have to repeat a few times but understands) and he is very advanced for his age. It's not hard to put down something on the floor if using in a high hair/table or on a table where it's secluded. It's a difficult situation because my DH and I live with his parents due to working for the family business that is based out of the home and due to the city we live in we can't live outside where the business is and work for it unless we move the business somewhere else. LONG STORY. My DH and I were really excited to start using play-doh with him, but his Mother shot me down when I asked SS if he ever played with it at his mothers house before.  Anyone have a similar situation or comment? Thanks.

by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MRLAdy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Play dough isn't toxic! Kids should be able to play with it. He can't be babied forever. He will turn out like my SS and afraid of everything!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saywhat2102
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:30 PM
4 moms liked this

Have your DH to tell his mom to CHILL OUT! And have fun with SS and play doh! When do we get to hear the LONG STORY??? It sounds interesting LOL  I'm nosey like that ;)

Ms.Gwen
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:36 PM
3 moms liked this
Just do what I did when DH got a case of play dough phobia with his kids.... I called BILs wife and told her my dilemma. She bought and wrapped a huge play dough set and the kids had it unwrapped and open before DH even knew what was happening! Lol!
Hehehe
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2cuteboys
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:36 PM
3 moms liked this

Playdoh is fine... or you could make your own.  There are a ton of recipes on the web.  Another fun but messy activity is finger painting with coolwhip.  If you divide the cool whip and add kool-aid to color it then let him paint with it is so fun!  You have to let it dry but it smells so yummy when you are done.  But it is messy. Kids like messy!

kkkaaayyyy
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Thank you Ladies. I also think it's because of my DH's mother's age. She is in her 60's now and loosing her mind. Also I think she is thinking in a different generation. I remember seeing pictures of myself at SS's age playing with playdoh. I'm the one who picks up after SS anyways so why can't I purchase playdoh with my own money for him to play with? I agree, KIDS LOVE MESSY! It really got under my skin living with my DH's mother and her shooting me down like I'm an idiot for bringing it up and scuffes that no child at that age should play with playdoh beacause it's messy. I hate that she thinks she is supperior to me because she is a grandmother. I've been around children my entire life and I know what they like. I dont see waht the big deal is about having play-doh in the house. I'm going to have to talk to DH and tell him to regulate his mother because I just think her comment was rediculous.  You ladies really helped me get my frustration out. <3

whatIknownow
by Ruby Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I would give a 2.5yo playdoh. I wouldnt' give it to them and then leave the room or anything, mostly because I'd be afraid they'd eat it or rub it into the furniture or the rug. But supervised, why not? Playdoh is great stuff.

mrsboomtastic
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this
OMG, REALLY BM N MIL NEED TO CHILL.

Have a blast!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommySabs
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this
It's nontoxic so it would be okay a fun alternative is making your own play dough. I would def spread out cellophane bc it is just by nature messy but nOt dangerous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meerkat101
by Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this

whahahahahaha - sorry, but I'm laughing at your MIL.

Children SHOULD play with playdough (mine started at 1 and a half, if not earlier!!).

And it is very important as it helps strenghten the muscles is the hand needed for fine motor control!!!! ask any occupational therapist and they would tell you that he should have started playing with playdough already.

Get him some playdough, cookie cutters, an apron and a tray to play on, That way you will minimise the mess!!! and keep it supervised!!

KellyReedy
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Poor kid needs to be a kid!  Give him play doh!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)