Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

My SS is 2 1/2 and I wanted to get some playdoh for him. I've done research and it says that it is for ages 2+. My SS grandmother called me out and said NO he is to young to play with it. That her other grandaughter was a mess and that she couldn't even use markers without getting it everywhere. Are we comparing children?? My SS can use markers without making a mess, listens when told not to do something ( may have to repeat a few times but understands) and he is very advanced for his age. It's not hard to put down something on the floor if using in a high hair/table or on a table where it's secluded. It's a difficult situation because my DH and I live with his parents due to working for the family business that is based out of the home and due to the city we live in we can't live outside where the business is and work for it unless we move the business somewhere else. LONG STORY. My DH and I were really excited to start using play-doh with him, but his Mother shot me down when I asked SS if he ever played with it at his mothers house before.  Anyone have a similar situation or comment? Thanks.

by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:26 PM
Replies (31-36):
DDDaysh
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Unfortunately, if you live with her, it's kind of her call since it is so messy... 

But, you could always buy it and then buy one of those cheap table cloths and play with it outside on the driveway or at the park. 

angelmommy2806
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Living with them or not, is there a room or something you can be in where they aren't? I wouldn't not get a child something just because they think they'll make a mess.

kkkaaayyyy
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 2:35 PM

It's also my DH's home and his fathers home and they both don't see a problem with  buying playdoh- So it's kind of 3 against one.  Just unforchante that we can't move out due to our family business. If it were my home, I would let my ss play with whatever he wanted to ( as long as it's reasonable ya know)

ShannaBee
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 2:46 PM

As it is their house, I would not purchase the PlayDoh. You may think your SS isn't messy you need to respect their house.

kkkaaayyyy
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Well honestly, the fact is the child's father who lives in the house approves of letting SS play with play-doh. My FIL also approves of it.  I was already told by DH we are going to get SS playdoh and figure out a way to do it so MIL relax's. She's always uptight about everything, not just something as little as playdoh. She micromanages everything from toasting a piece of bread, when I do my laundry to if my SS has socks on. So this isn't something NEW, I just wanted to see if I was over reacting.

steffbar
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Playdough can be really messy but with some modeling, and supervision its doable. sit him down at the table with the playdough, and playdough toys. Allow him to have fun. If he wants to move from table remind him that the playdough needs to stay at the table. Normally I would allow my child to take his playdough to his dramatic play area. They like to pretend its food and cook/serve it. etc... But your mother in law seems like a pain so I wouldnt chance it. You might want to mention that playdough is good for cognitive, and fine motor skills. Boys always need extra help with fine motor.  Maybe you guys could get a tarp and lay it down when he wants to use the playdough. This might ease your mother in laws concerns.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)