Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thanksgiving... Ummm... Fun...

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 5:19 PM
  • 15 Replies
So, this is DH's year for Thanksgiving. Cool... Right... Except for one thing....

DH is off from work Wed and Thurs.... But has to work Black Fri, Sat, and Sunday... So I asked him what he planned to do. Is he asking for a comp and holiday and a vacation day for Fri-Sun when his kids are here?

We aren't talking about summer when he obliviously has to work his reg schedule. We are talking holiday. His kids don't come here to spend the majority of their time with me. They live 6 hrs away.

I reminded him this was his parenting time, not mine. He needs to figure it out. Whether he's taking a comp day, holiday and vacation... All or one and returning them early.... He leaves for work at 4:30pm returns at 6 am and then sleeps until 3pm. It makes no sense to have them here with me during his time when they would rather be at home with Mom and their friends. This isn't about him owning his kids time, but about him parenting his kids during his time. He told me I am trying to push his kids away. ( nope... But I don't want to be their parent... They have two already... Just want him to have a plan in place now... Rather then 2 days before)

Married 2.5 years. Thoughts?? Just seems like BM should have the the half of the holiday if all he is going to do is work.

by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 5:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bstepmom
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Agreed.. BTDT... DH get SD and say bye bye... lives 6.30AM and comes back 9PM.... not fun... while I work from home and have to deal with her screaming because has nothing to do and I can't play with her..

Panda113
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Totally agree with you. If they aren't with one parent they need to be with the other.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rebeccasmly
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 12:56 AM

In your situation, I completely agree. Hopefully he gets it figured out!

USBrit
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2012 at 11:43 AM

And WHY is this coming up now? I mean seriously, DH must have known for some time that he would have the kids for Thanksgiving this year and he is just now deciding what to do??? Sounds like someone is in avoidance and just would love for you to step up. I would do EXACTLY as you have said.

rocknmom85
by Silver Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Yeah, you make a good point. It sounds like the kids would want to visit their Dad if they coming for the holiday and if he is not around they may as well go back home to their Mom's. Is your DH refusing to take those days off?

kellynh
by Kelly on Sep. 30, 2012 at 8:56 AM
Quoting rocknmom85:

Yeah, you make a good point. It sounds like the kids would want to visit their Dad if they coming for the holiday and if he is not around they may as well go back home to their Mom's. Is your DH refusing to take those days off?

No, what he does is procrastinate to the point that it's impossible to do so... Which is why I am saying something two months in advance. It makes no sense... He has to get them on Wed. Then they have Thurs together, then he leaves them to work all weekend. It's 6 hours one way... He seriously needs to plan these days off. Screw the pay, well work around it.

trebelcleff
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I agree... if he doesn't get those days off and get to spend time with them I'm sure their mom would appreciate having them for part of the holiday week!  

mommyx437
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I would have to agree with you that if he won't get the time off to be there for the kids then the option needs to be that they go back to their moms for the remaining of the holiday time. 

ShannaBee
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 3:50 PM

If it works for your situation, try it. Some SMS have not problem keeping their SKs if Dad is working. others don't.

LovingMy2x4
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 5:04 PM

How old are the kids and how is your relationship with them? Maybe if he cut back on some sleep he could still get some time in with them. But if its going to be the way it normally is then what is his reasoning for wanting them to be there? He will see them for an hour a day!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured