Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

BP/SP's and sports

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:40 AM
  • 36 Replies

Here's a sitch...

Say you have a DD or DS and they played school sports. They traveled quite regularly to different towns playing. As a parent, you want to make as many games as you can to support your child/children. Plus you really enjoy watching them play.

Now say that you have a spouse who chooses not to go to those games. But he/she wants you to choose to not go to some of the games because he/she wants you to pay attention to them and spend the time at home with them rather than go watch your child/children play.

As a BP what would you do? Would you go to your child/children's games anyway? Would you compromise with your spouse and choose to not go to some of the games? What if your child/children really wanted you to go watch them play and you were the ONLY parent to ever go to any of their games?

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LovingMy2x4
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Thats a time and experience you can never get back with your child. I'd go as much as I possibly could. 

saywhat2102
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:47 AM
You go to the game and tell your spouse you will plan a date night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baparrot2
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Nope no compromising. I go to all my childs games. They only do this for a little while in the big span of my life.

Derdriu
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I'd say the spouse is being selfish.  I won't deny that it can be a real pain in the rear to handle multiple weeknight practices and a busy tournament schedule during the sport season, but in the grand scheme of things, sports seasons are short.  There's plenty of time for date nights afterward and even during if the couple manages their time well enough.

annabl1970
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Tell that spouse what he/she would feel as a child, if his/her mother/father missed his/her games, because her husband/his wife wanted " attention to  him/her and spend the time at home "

leegirl_jm
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I can't imagine those circumstances since my spouse is also the father of my children and we both enjoy our kids' activites, but one of us would have to be there.

If I were a NCP, if I enjoyed the games and wanted to go, then I would go to my kids' games, if I really didn't enjoy the games nor wanted to go then I may stay with my spouse.

Wife, Mother and Career Woman living in Jamaica

faerie75
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:49 PM

i think BP should go to the games. invite the SP and its up to them if they go.

BM doesnt go to any of SS11 games and i dont understand it. she doesnt take him to ANY practices either, unless SO begs her and she doesnt stay and watch if she does. SHE signed ss9 up for baseball and proceeded to not take him to any practices, attend 1.5 games in total and didnt sell the mandatory chocolate and caused ss9 to not be able to participate in his pizza party.

mom7834
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Sorry but husband would have to understand I am going to all of my children's games.

If he didn't want to go - that's fine, but I will not miss them.  I know my boys when they played sports

(they are now 27 and 29) counted on me being there for games and sometimes they wanted me to stay for practices! 

MomGoingCrazy78
by Lindy Lou on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:39 PM

This sitch is CP and their spouse.

I attend ALL of my children's games for every sport they have ever been in. I have only missed one soccer game and that was because I had to be out of the country that week. Other than that, I'm there along with grandparents, aunts, uncles, you name it. My DH does go to some of the games with me, it just really depends on his work schedule.

Quoting leegirl_jm:

I can't imagine those circumstances since my spouse is also the father of my children and we both enjoy our kids' activites, but one of us would have to be there.

If I were a NCP, if I enjoyed the games and wanted to go, then I would go to my kids' games, if I really didn't enjoy the games nor wanted to go then I may stay with my spouse.

MomGoingCrazy78
by Lindy Lou on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:41 PM

My kids count on me being there also. I have stayed at my fair share of practices also. I even go to all of my SD's games too.

Quoting mom7834:

Sorry but husband would have to understand I am going to all of my children's games.

If he didn't want to go - that's fine, but I will not miss them.  I know my boys when they played sports

(they are now 27 and 29) counted on me being there for games and sometimes they wanted me to stay for practices! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)