Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Exploring the fun aunt role...

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:27 PM
  • 39 Replies
What does this role mean to you? Did you have a fun aunt as a kid? Tell us about her!

My favorite aunt was my great aunt Lil. She always had pennies and gum for me. She cut hair professionally and cut mine every summer (with moms permission). I went to visit her for 2 weeks every summer. The first thing we would do every time was grocery shopping. She let me buy whatever I wanted! We did crafts together and gardening. She loved birds and had atleast 20 feeders in her back yard which we would bird watch together. She never disciplined me. She never had to. All she had to do is say "do I need to call your mother?"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
justhavingfun.
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:46 PM
Wow. LOL! I think it comes down to family dynamics. I am not too experienced as an aunt yet but my sister sure is!

My sister helps me when I need help. Occasionally, I don't have patience to help my kids with homework - that or I simply don't understand a concept. As a teacher, she will come over to help them out. If I cannot get out of work on time, she will pick the boys up for me. She's very nurturing. She takes the kids to the big city to see the children's museum, the science center, etc... She comes to the sporting events she is able to. She has full control over discipline when they are in her care. Someday, I hope they can confide in her when they can't with me.

How does that relate to being a SM? I am there for SD to take her to gymnastics and to school. I am responsible for my behavior and setting a good example. I'm there to help guide her. I'm there to do FUN things as well as not so fun things.

I'm there to say, 'Man, girly! What's up with that report card? I hear you can't do XYZ until your progress report comes out and you get your grades up. How about we start studying together?'

OR

I take her out shopping and she has an attitude. 'If you don't care, I won't care. When you can apologize for the way you behaved today, maybe we can try again.'

I'm not there to be in the PTA nor is an aunt. I'm there to lightly guide her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annabl1970
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:49 PM

My favorite aunt is my mom's youngest sister. I love all my aunts, but she is the special one. She used to work for bookstore. Grown up, the books and sweets were my fun thing to do. She always had fascinating book and chocolate bar waiting for me. In summer I would help her in the store. The help was to put the books on the shelves after the customers, that all LOL. For that I got to read new books, have ice-cream and cookies for lunch (!!!), go to amusement parks, and walk her huge shepherd dogs...

lilangilyn
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:08 PM

My favorite aunt was a well known child psychologist. She was beautiful and smart and good with kids. Extremely good. I wish I had lived closer to her throughout my life. She is gone now but I will always remember the kind things she would do for me.

rocknmom85
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:17 PM

I would love to have that type of role with my skids. I guess I kind of do at times but I am way too involved in their day to day upbringing and even discipline. But if BM ever comes around and is active in the kids lives daily, I will happily try to reintegrate myself into that kind of role if appropriate.

Ms.Gwen
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:25 PM
I understand that. I'm in that same place with my skids. I was just hoping to help and enspire the new SMs and NCSMs. I still embrace the fun aunt side of my job whenever possible, and I always have gum in my purse! Lol!

Quoting rocknmom85:

I would love to have that type of role with my skids. I guess I kind of do at times but I am way too involved in their day to day upbringing and even discipline. But if BM ever comes around and is active in the kids lives daily, I will happily try to reintegrate myself into that kind of role if appropriate.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:29 PM

I didn't have an aunt growing up.  Or an uncle.  My parents suck.

Ms.Gwen
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:32 PM
Aww! That's sad. : (
Well it doesn't have to be your aunt. It could be your kids aunt or just a coworker or friend that is close with her niece or nephew.

Quoting WifeyC:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newstepmom61811
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Of course your mother and father probably liked your aunt and had her back...the "do I need to call your mother" worked because they had your back, didn't take opportunities to undermine you...

feliciasmith
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:42 PM
Mine too lol

Quoting WifeyC:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Gwen
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Fair enuf, but as a SM saying "do I need to call your father?" is just as effective.

Quoting newstepmom61811:

Of course your mother and father probably liked your aunt and had her back...the "do I need to call your mother" worked because they had your back, didn't take opportunities to undermine you...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured