Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Exploring the fun aunt role...

Posted by   + Show Post
What does this role mean to you? Did you have a fun aunt as a kid? Tell us about her!

My favorite aunt was my great aunt Lil. She always had pennies and gum for me. She cut hair professionally and cut mine every summer (with moms permission). I went to visit her for 2 weeks every summer. The first thing we would do every time was grocery shopping. She let me buy whatever I wanted! We did crafts together and gardening. She loved birds and had atleast 20 feeders in her back yard which we would bird watch together. She never disciplined me. She never had to. All she had to do is say "do I need to call your mother?"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:27 PM
Replies (31-39):
Kat31
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:25 PM
How does one deal with being the 'fun aunt' to one child in the house and the 'authoritive mom' to another? Does it all come down to just parenting your own bio children parallel to the other parent? I'm not sure if I worded that correctly....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Gwen
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:41 PM
When my nephew visits I don't have any problems being the fun aunt while still parenting the kids that live here... Are you talking about skids that live with you 50% of the time or more? Or are you asking about EOWE skids? Cause I honestly don't have any issues with my nephew here playing both roles?!

Quoting Kat31:

How does one deal with being the 'fun aunt' to one child in the house and the 'authoritive mom' to another? Does it all come down to just parenting your own bio children parallel to the other parent? I'm not sure if I worded that correctly....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShannaBee
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:42 PM
Didn't have much to do with either of my aunts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kat31
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:44 PM
:) I was referring to full time skids, not actual nephews/nieces. Sorry.

Quoting Ms.Gwen:

When my nephew visits I don't have any problems being the fun aunt while still parenting the kids that live here... Are you talking about skids that live with you 50% of the time or more? Or are you asking about EOWE skids? Cause I honestly don't have any issues with my nephew here playing both roles?!

Quoting Kat31:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessiesluv
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I stayed with my aunts a lot, but they weren't "extremely fun" lol

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Quoting Kat31:

Easy. the children have different parents.

I am my my kids' mom, so they have to listen to me. But I am not my stepkids' mom, so I don't make the rules for them. I make the rules for my kids.

this is pretty simple, my kids never had a problem understanding this.

For the most part, DH and I had very similar rules so it was not an issue. But when our rules differ, the kids knew that they had different parents. Just like their friends and them had different parents. Different parents allow different things.

Kat31
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:49 PM
That sounds pretty simple and along the lines of what I have been thinking.

Quoting whatIknownow:

Quoting Kat31:

Easy. the children have different parents.

I am my my kids' mom, so they have to listen to me. But I am not my stepkids' mom, so I don't make the rules for them. I make the rules for my kids.

this is pretty simple, my kids never had a problem understanding this.

For the most part, DH and I had very similar rules so it was not an issue. But when our rules differ, the kids knew that they had different parents. Just like their friends and them had different parents. Different parents allow different things.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
daddysgf
by and that's all on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:13 PM
I never really had a fun aunt.. I shared a special bond with one who bought cool toys and was nice but now that i'm older our relationship is non-existent.. Long story LOL.
But I am very much the fun aunt in my situation.. Tonight we had cookies and grilled cheese for supper and he didnt have to wear pants. I discipline no more than any "fun aunt" would and am not, and will not, be a decision maker in his life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:13 PM

I have a sister, she is my children's only aunt, if I should pass, she knows she is expected to be a mother to them, she is their fun aunt too. My aunt role is reserved for her child(ren), I am Dad's wife to SS.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN