Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

I gew up in an intact family. mom dad 2 older sisters and a younger brother. My dad was at work usually 16 hr days to support the family. he worked at a prison when he worked normal hours he still was asleep an my mom was always "happy" when he was home.

Growing up we lived in fear of my mother we never knew what she was going to do what was going to set her off or how bad it was going to set her off. she was unperdictable to say the least. I can remember she was mad at the world for something i was maybe 7 she made us all go put on our best clothes to eat dinner. None of us ate dinner that night, we were sure she had poisoned it. She would always tell us how much we ruined her life. Her extreme behaviors are what all 4 of us kids grew up knowing was "normal" behaviors. We all had extreme behaviors like her. when i say extreme i mean EXTREME super angry and super depressed. those were the 2 moods she had and in turn the 2 moods we learned were exceptable nobody taught us different.

when i was 13 one of her "friends' broke into the house and attacked me she blamed me that he wasn't there to be her "friend" anymore. State mandated family therapy. The only thing that came out of it was finding out my mom and older sister were bi-polar. my dad died not long after finding this out. work related. there was no savior from her.

When i got out from under her controll i still didn't have appropriate behaviors or reactions. i struggled a lot in life and had to go to therapy and learn what appropriate reactions were. I had to be re-taught everything basically. I had learned behaviors of someone with mental illness and i thought that was how it was suppose to be.

I share this because i read a lot about how sk's espcially sd's are "just like thier mother". she must have a mental health issue. I just wonder how many people stop and think that maybe they are learned behaviors. Not a mental illness. Don't get me wrong i tried the learned behavior method with sd in my case and the state determined that she has a personality disorder, so i know not all cases are learned. Just thought i would share another side to what could cause a person/child to act out

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:59 PM
Replies (11-14):
Refurbished
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:28 AM

She sounds like a narcissist.

Quoting cruelella2to:

I can honestly say that if you ask my mother she was/is mother of the year. she was amazing in her mind. top notch is very interesting to hear her repeat stuff that i know didn't happen the way she tells others. She does love us all in a very strange smother us in our sleep kind of way, idk if that makes sense. her mental illness makes it difficult for her.

Quoting USBrit:

I have a mentally ill mother and brother. BUT, she was the most loving women in the world. I am sorry ladies that you dealt with what you did. My Mom did strange things, but always in love....never anything evil or dangerous. :(

cruelella2to
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:27 PM

more than likely. She refuses treatment of any kind so there is no way for her to be diagnosed anything other than the original one, bi-polar.

Quoting Refurbished:

Quoting cruelella2to:

I can honestly say that if you ask my mother she was/is mother of the year. she was amazing in her mind. top notch is very interesting to hear her repeat stuff that i know didn't happen the way she tells others. She does love us all in a very strange smother us in our sleep kind of way, idk if that makes sense. her mental illness makes it difficult for her.

Quoting USBrit:

I have a mentally ill mother and brother. BUT, she was the most loving women in the world. I am sorry ladies that you dealt with what you did. My Mom did strange things, but always in love....never anything evil or dangerous. :(

Refurbished
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Bipolar and narcissism seem to go hand-in-hand.  I think maybe the mood swings keep them focused on their own needs most of the time.

Quoting cruelella2to:

more than likely. She refuses treatment of any kind so there is no way for her to be diagnosed anything other than the original one, bi-polar.

Quoting Refurbished:

Quoting cruelella2to:

Quoting USBrit:

ShannaBee
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Thank you for sharing.

I'm no doctor, so I'm not going to diagnose BM with a mental illness. And yes, SS acts just like her and I do believe it's learned behavior.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)