Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

The LIES!!!!

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:54 AM
  • 27 Replies

So recently my older skids (4 and 5) have started lying to get each other in trouble. One will do something wrong and both of them will come running to me saying the other did it. It takes a long time to get the guilty one to confess. They end up sitting in their room or at the kitchen table for long periods of time. I feel bad because I know one of them hasnt done anything wrong and they're still being punished. Any suggestions?

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kellynh
by Kelly on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol.... Kids do that all the time. What are long periods of time? During the summer, with all six kids here... Bios and kids... We talk to them individually. You tend to get a straighter story that way.
steffbar
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:09 AM

it usually doesnt last longer than 30 or 40 minutes. I tried explaining that they get into more trouble when they lie but I guess theyre too young to understand. Blah. So frustrating. 

Quoting kellynh:

Lol.... Kids do that all the time. What are long periods of time? During the summer, with all six kids here... Bios and kids... We talk to them individually. You tend to get a straighter story that way.

saywhat2102
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:19 AM
2 moms liked this
Maybe start taking toys away? I'm sure the one that didn't do it will sing like a bird and fast! Noooo don't take elmo heeeeeee did ittttttt! Know what I mean?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steffbar
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I'll have to try that. lol

mrsboomtastic
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:49 AM
I agree change consequences
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rebeccasmly
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Change the consequences, you may get a better result that way. We've gone through that too, I think its just an age thing unfortunately.

jessiesluv
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM
2 moms liked this

Here's a funny story..

I had made a cake one day. The pan had a lid. My older kid and I were watching tv while my furbabies slept in the floor. Younger kid went in and got him a piece, I heard the lid hit the floor and nothing was said.

A few hours later, I noticed the lid was broken. This wasn't an expensive cake pan, but I asked younger if he had broke it, even though I knew he had when he dropped it.

He looked me straight in the eye and said "No. The dog did it." I said "How did the dog reach the top of the cabinet?!"

It was 10 mins of trying to convince him he wasn't going to get in trouble, just tell me the truth. He still wouldn't, then he tried to blame it on other kid. I knew he didn't do it.

So, I told them they both had to give me $10 each out of their allowance to pay for the lid. (I really wasn't going to take it, but my thought was if he really didn't do it, he wouldn't give me the money.)

He went and got his wallet while the other kid (who didn't do it) protested that he shouldnt pay because he didnt do it.

Finally, I told him I didn't want his money and I knew he had did it. He just looked at me and said "I don't think I did."

He STILL wouldn't admit to it. lol

steffbar
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:16 PM

lol!! Kids are so funny. :)

steffbar
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM

You're probably right. I hope they grow out if it soon.

Quoting rebeccasmly:

Change the consequences, you may get a better result that way. We've gone through that too, I think its just an age thing unfortunately.

kkkaaayyyy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Tell them if they don't confess their toys are going to start going missing. Usually they stand right up and admit who was really wrong.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN