Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

So recently my older skids (4 and 5) have started lying to get each other in trouble. One will do something wrong and both of them will come running to me saying the other did it. It takes a long time to get the guilty one to confess. They end up sitting in their room or at the kitchen table for long periods of time. I feel bad because I know one of them hasnt done anything wrong and they're still being punished. Any suggestions?

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:54 AM
Replies (11-20):
steffbar
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:04 AM
2 moms liked this

Omg!! this totally worked!! lol thanks for the tip. :)

Quoting kkkaaayyyy:

Tell them if they don't confess their toys are going to start going missing. Usually they stand right up and admit who was really wrong.

kkkaaayyyy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:06 AM

=) Oh great! I'm so glad to hear that!!!!! **happy dance**

dancing

GypsyRayne
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:17 AM

When my kids were little and I was married to my ex, we had 4 kids between us. 2 mine and 2 his. They would often do the same thing. They would also never confess to which one did it.

They were actually trying to protect each other. And in their own way were standing up for eachother.

I know this may sound bad, but I was actually proud of them.They had a strong bond and cared enough for each other, they were protecting they guilty one.

Mommyof5247
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this
It does get frustrating but everyone's right, it's an age thing.
Both skids will look me right in the eye & tell me they didn't do something even if I saw them do it. Sadly, SS4 (almost 5) is entering this stage, but thankfully, SD6 seems to be growing out of it.
I talk to them separately & take toys, at that age, it works very well. Time outs didn't work with SS (for lying) because he didn't have to talk about it. SD will apologize for her mistake when timeout is up.

Jessieluvs' story was great. Been there:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steffbar
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Well the toy thing seems to be working. These kids seem to have more of a sibling rivalry thing going on. They seem excited about throwing each other under the bus. lol. 

E_is_4_Ethan
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:38 PM

If what they are doing is not that big of a deal, and they are running to you to tell on each-other. I would just put hand up, and say...I don't want to hear it.

steffbar
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I end up doing that sometimes. The lieing just bugs the heck out of me. 

Quoting E_is_4_Ethan:

If what they are doing is not that big of a deal, and they are running to you to tell on each-other. I would just put hand up, and say...I don't want to hear it.

E_is_4_Ethan
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this

It does me too. That's why I had to learn to let the small stuff go, or I would drive myself insane.

Quoting steffbar:

I end up doing that sometimes. The lieing just bugs the heck out of me. 

Quoting E_is_4_Ethan:

ShannaBee
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:04 PM

We were never able to combat my SS's lying and the lies got worse and worse so good luck with that one.

steffbar
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:23 PM

EEk!!! Hope it doesnt get worse. 

Quoting ShannaBee:

We were never able to combat my SS's lying and the lies got worse and worse so good luck with that one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)