Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

In light of the post about contacting divorced SM. PIOG.

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:44 PM
  • 17 Replies

October 3, 2012

When Branches Tangle in a Stepfamily Tree

By ELISSA GOOTMAN
HERE’S a not-so-uncommon predicament: A divorced man with kids marries a woman who also has children. At the wedding, their respective constellations of relatives — siblings, parents — get to know one another. Over the years, they start to bond as an extended family. Homes are shared for weekend and holiday visits. Gifts are exchanged, relationships forged.

Then the couple splits.

Suddenly these step-relatives, unbound by biological or legal ties, are former step-relatives, left to puzzle over the sorts of questions that can require a whiteboard to explain.

Do you invite your ex-stepsister to your wedding, given that you shared a bunk bed with her for seven formative years? How long should you continue texting your ex-stepson if he doesn’t text back? And what, if anything, do you call your ex-stepgrandmother?

For thousands of people, such questions are not hypothetical. While the number of people with former step-relatives is not tracked, researchers agree that it is substantial, with no indications of shrinking.

In a 2010 study by the Pew Research Center, 42 percent of adults surveyed said they had at least one step-relative. Studies have shown that second marriages are more likely to end in divorce than first marriages. And a rise in births among cohabitating couples could lead to more situations in which people are effectively ex-steps, even if their relationships were not legally sealed through marriage.

There are books offering help adjusting to stepfamily life, with optimistic titles like “The Smart Stepdad,” “The Happy Stepmother” and “The Step-Tween Survival Guide.” But when stepdads aren’t smart, stepmothers aren’t happy and the marriages that brought them together do not survive, there are no road maps for the dos and don’ts of ex-step etiquette.

“This is a new area, really on the frontier of American family life and kinship,” said Andrew J. Cherlin, a professor of sociology and public policy at Johns Hopkins and author of the 2009 book “The Marriage-Go-Round: The State of Marriage and the Family in America Today.” “We don’t really know whether there is enough bonding to make a step-relationship survive the breakup of the family.”

In a recent study, Marilyn Coleman and Lawrence H. Ganong, professors at the University of Missouri, interviewed 29 people ages 18 to 32 who have former stepparents.

They found that relationships fell into three categories: “never claimed” (those who never embraced their stepparent as a family member), “unclaimed” (those who considered the stepparent to be a parent figure during the marriage, but not afterward) and “claimed” (those who continued to consider their ex-stepparent as a family member after the divorce).

But how do the dynamics play out within those categories? Below, an alternative (and thoroughly unscientific) taxonomy, compiled after interviews with researchers, therapists and ex-step-everythings.

PROBLEM SOLVED

When parents divorce for the first time, they often try to reassure their children that they are not responsible for the breakup. When second marriages end, it can be hard to make such assertions with a straight face. “A lot of the tension may have been over the children,” said Mary T. Kelly, a marriage and family therapist in Boulder, Colo., who leads “Married With Baggage” workshops for remarried couples.

When stepfamilies are ravaged by fights over how to discipline the children (fathers tend to be more lenient than their new wives), or between teenagers and their stepparents, those involved may be relieved to go their separate ways.

“It’s the reality we don’t like to talk about,” Ms. Kelly said. “We’re very addicted to happy endings in this culture.”

Paul Hokemeyer, a Manhattan therapist, said he had seen plenty of “situations where the kids say: ‘Get out of here! I don’t want you here!’ ” to their stepparents.

But haven’t children been known to direct such comments at their own parents? “They don’t mean it,” he said. With stepparents, apparently, they often really do.

FORCED OUT

Not surprisingly, divorcing couples may not agree on the matter of whether certain relationships born of the defunct marriage should continue.

Gretchen, a 39-year-old sales representative (who, like many people interviewed for this article, did not want her last name used), lived with her fiancé and his two sons for a year and a half. She grew close to them, she said, seeing them as the future half-siblings of the children she one day hoped to have. Then the fiancé broke off the engagement, forbidding Gretchen, she said, from having any contact with the boys. “I begged and pleaded and tried to state my case,” she said. “To no avail.”

Even if her ex-fiancé had been an ex-husband, Gretchen’s situation might not have changed.

“You have no legal ties to an ex-stepkid,” Professor Coleman said, adding that the parent “can stop you from seeing that child again.”

But Gretchen’s former fiancé saw things differently than she did. In his view, the breakup was accompanied by such animosity that, he said, “I made a judgment call that it wasn’t in the kids’ best interests” for them to maintain contact with her. The boys “liked her a lot,” he said. “I gave it a lot of thought.”

Denise, 43, a banker, said that when her first marriage dissolved, her parents were distraught over losing her ex-husband’s daughter, whom they treated as a granddaughter. “You know the movie with Tom Hanks, where he goes back and he’s a kid and he goes to F. A. O. Schwarz and dances on one of those keyboards?” she said, referring to a scene in the film “Big.” “My parents bought her one of those.”

Denise has three stepchildren from her current marriage; her parents are kind to them, she said, but “this time around they’ve been a little more cautious.”

DRIFTING APART

If you don’t talk to your brother for 20 years, he’s still your brother. Don’t talk to your ex-stepbrother, and he becomes just another former acquaintance.

Former step-relationships take work, planning and juggling. Drop the ball, and there’s no guarantee that anyone else will pick it up.

Many a stepmother would be thrilled to be described the way Graham McCaulley, a graduate student at the University of Missouri, speaks of his: as “one-third of my parents” during the years she was married to his father. “Being in that stepfamily was a really positive experience,” he said.

Post-divorce, Mr. McCaulley and his former stepmother tried to get everyone together: there were monthly sibling dinners, annual family barbecues, holiday reunions.

“It went from every Christmas, every birthday, to a little more sparingly, maybe just a call, and then everybody just kind of doing their own thing,” he said. “With my mom, it was never in question: you’re going to go over there for Christmas. But with this, there were no rules. It was: ‘Oh, I guess we’re going to go over there. We need to talk about this and figure it out.’

“We just kind of separated over time. There were no heated words. You’re talking 10 years later under these ambiguous circumstances.”

Mr. McCaulley’s former stepmother, Sheila Martin-McCaulley, agreed. “I always felt like I didn’t want to interrupt,” she said. “An ex-stepmom — where in the world does that person fit in?”

ONE-WAY STREET

Sometimes one person shoulders the burden of maintaining a step-relationship. Patricia Papernow, a Massachusetts psychologist, has seen clients grow distraught after former stepchildren refused to return their phone calls.

“They wanted to go talk to them,” she said. “There was one who wanted to fly on a plane to another state.” She counseled them to write letters instead, sending the message that “I know it’s hard for you to be connected to me right now, but when you’re ready, I’m here.”

After writing such a letter, Dr. Papernow advises, send cards on major holidays, and keep the messages brief. “Resist the temptation to leak your despair onto the child,” she said.

For years, Elizabeth Einstein, a marriage and family therapist in Ithaca, N.Y., who has written books about stepfamilies, worked to maintain her relationship with two ex-stepchildren, despite the fact that the divorce was not a happy one.

“I had a deep emotional investment, and they with me, because I had raised them,” she said. Over 30 years, she grew to feel “tired of being the only one doing all the work.”

“I loved these kids,” she said. “But they weren’t kids anymore.”

A FRIENDLY OUTCOME

When Greta Russell started dating her first husband, she was closer in age to her teenage stepdaughter, Kim Marshall, than to him. The mother-stepdaughter relationship was “kind of rocky” at the outset, she said. “Very odd,” Ms. Marshall agreed. With time, things shifted. “She got over the, ‘Oh, my dad is with this really young person,’ and we started to get to know each other,” Ms. Russell said.

After four years, the marriage fell apart, and Ms. Russell, now 36, was unsure what would happen to her relationship with Ms. Marshall. “When you’re dealing with a divorce, everything gets shaken up, and you’re never quite sure how other people are going to take that decision,” she said. But by then, Ms. Marshall, now 25, was in college; they were two adults, bound not by the legal ties that had brought them together but by the friendship they had cultivated.

It is still “the best thing that came out of that marriage,” Ms. Russell said.

WHAT’S YOUR MOTIVE?

The decision to nurture former step-relationships can mean accepting certain awkward situations, like waiting in the same hospital as your former husband while your former stepdaughter-in-law gives birth to a baby who would have been your stepgrandchild.

When a client of Dr. Hokemeyer’s expressed a desire to be present at the hospital while the daughter of her longtime but now former husband gave birth, the therapist worked with her to answer what he considered the key question: what was her motive?

“When there’s a divorce, there’s a profound sense of loss, and people try to mitigate that loss by holding on to relationships that they would be better off letting go,” Dr. Hokemeyer said. “Make sure that you are acting out of genuine love and concern for the other person, and not out of anger and attempts to manipulate.” In the birth case, Dr. Hokemeyer and his client determined that her motives were pure. She genuinely cared for her ex-stepdaughter-in-law and wanted to preserve their relationship, which was meaningful and deep, though convoluted to describe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rose0919
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:20 PM

wow! im going through this  right now, i miss my stepson like crazy , my dd misses him.  but i have been told by stbxh, one time  he is asking for us, and is begging to see us then the next is he hates me. i just have to let go ,,,,,,,, i cant put the kids through this. so for us and the way stbxh is acting i just made a break and wont look back. hopefully he will look back someday and see how much was truley loved while in our lives.

pdxmum
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:28 PM
I can only imagine how hard divorce would be with steps and half sibs involved.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelmommy2806
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:56 PM

This is a situation I really hope to never find myself in. I've got, what I think is a close bond to SS10 and DS2 thinks he's the best thing Ever. It's not something that would be fun to go through At All.

pdxmum
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 4:02 PM
No, but it is very much a possibility for many of us. If DH and I were to divorce, I wonder if I would ever see the skids. They are so passive, I doubt they would make an effort. Plus they suffered so much loyalty conflict between even mom and dad, I would not want to add anything. I could absolutely see BM wanting to suddenly be my best friend just to prove DH was an ass.

I think my ODD would retain a relationship with DH.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saywhat2102
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 4:18 PM
Ugh even the thought of this makes me sad! I know my husband wouldn't keep my stepson from seeing me. My stepson is very much attached to me and since his bio mom has passed away its even more so now. I do understand that at some point my husband as well as myself would move on with our lives. So, not sure how that would play out. However, my husband and I do hope to have a child together so when that happens there will be no doubt that even if it was the worst divorce ever my stepson would always be able to see his brother or sister as well as myself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ice-Angel
by Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:18 PM

My 2 DD'S are going thru this with their dad and SM. They have seperated and she has moved out. They have seen her one time and it was hard for them. They do not have siblings from that marriage. 

Their dad has told both DD'S and the SM if it goes to divorce they will not be allowed to see each other. He will remove them from her and ALL of her family, which is very large. They have been together for 9 years in December. DD1 is 10 and DD2 is 9...yes SM was the "mistress" but putting that aside she has been there their whole lives. I feel horrible for my girls but feel it is not my place to tell XH how to handle his divorce with the girls. 

TempestRayne
by Donna on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:33 PM
I am always worried about this. It is one of the reasns why I think there needs to be required classes for marriage. Not just second, but all marriages.
ShannaBee
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I must be cruel because if I ever get divorced I would not miss SS nor want to stay in contact with him.

Tillymommie
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:57 PM

I think life would have to be complete hell for me to divorce again. I really love DH and my DSS. DSS and DS are the same age and are both 3 and been in each other's since they were just over a year old.They are growing up together and love each other so much.

MomGoingCrazy78
by Lindy Lou on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I hope I never have to go through this. It would devestate my DD, DS, and SD. They are soooo close to each other. It would make me sad if I couldn't see my SD anymore either.... I hate thinking about this!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)