Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Picked the SKs up and... *UPDATE for the ones that think I am making a big deal out of nothing*

We picked the SKs up yesterday and BM had them dressed in shorts, tank tops, and flip-flops. Ok it was warm enough to be dressed in flip-flops and summer clothes on Friday, but she doesn't send clothes and we have to wash their clothes and send them bacck in the clothes they wore. Which isn't a problem because we have clothes to fit them and shoes etc. So, tomorrow when we send them home we have to put them back in their shorts, tank tops, and flip-flops and it is supposed to be 66 for the high tomorrow so it will be cooler than that tomorrow evening at 6 when we drop them off and breezy. My 2 kids went to spend the weekend with their grandparents and I made them wear pants because I didn't want them to freeze on sunday! How difficult is it to either dress them appropriately for this time of year as it is not summer anymore or send the proper clothes for them to wear home Sunday? Of course this doesn't surprise me because last winter she sent them in t-shirts and no coats and it 40 degrees outside!!!

End of Rant :)

***UPDATE***
Ok, if you knew her then I suppose you would understand more. So, a little background her and DH have been dealing with custody issues for 2 years. Why? Because they are not in school and their 7 y/o has untreated asthma. She is "homeschooling" yet their 8 y/o can't read on a first grade level and the 7 y/o only knows half of his letters and can't read AT ALL. Everytime we take the 7 y/o to the dr for his asthma and get him meds she refuses to give them to him because he is fine as long as he doesn't run or get excited. Furthermore, their "punishment" when they misbehave is they have to sleep in the laundry room with the dirty clothes and the cat's litter box. They have 15 minutes to eat and if they don't finish then they get in trouble. If they say they can't do their schoolwork because it is hard they go to bed without dinner. Ok, so this is yet another point against her and I was just venting because the kids started crying when they found out that they were going to be wearing our clothes instead of hers. The 7 y/o told me he HAD to wear his clothes home or he would sleep on "pissy" clothes c'mon now really get some background before you go bashing me please!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:02 PM
Replies (41-43):
GlockMom
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:52 PM
They weren't with BM. If they were dressed inappropriately for the weather it was BF fault as they were with him.

You had a huge gripe with something minor that was not even her doing. When no one jumped on board with how bad BM IS you started in with all the bad details. Makes it seem very fabricated.

It's very typical.

Quoting 2_amazing_boys:

I went to the school board plus my mom homeschools my sister...and up until THIS year you had to report to the county and the county reported to the state. So, I have my facts straight and I know exactly what I am talking about as I have found out all of the info as I have seriously considered homeschooling my DS6 who is ADHD. Now you report directly to the state via mail or e-mail because counties were not reporting properly and weren't reporting if kids were even enrolled in homeschool and weren't keeping up with attendance etc.

I don't understand why you feel the direct need to contradict everything I say because it was windy Sunday. To windy and cool for kids to be wearing shorts and tank tops. Yes the weather is typical but it has got cool and stayed that way finally instead of being in the 80s one day and 60s the next! You seem to be someone who always has to be right...just sayin!

Quoting GlockMom:

Sweetheart, get your facts straight. My sister was homeschooled for high school. She is 29 now. So that was 13 years ago. My mother had to do all that documenting and reporting to the state. That did not start this year. Where are you pulling this stuff?

And for the ladies that don't live in GA or have never been here during the fall, the weather we had this weekend is REALLY textbook normal for this area. The weather wasn't weirdly freaking cold. It was cool in the morning, warmed up nice, was breezy but not windy and cooled off when the sun went down. It was fall conditions.....cause guess what? It is FALL.

Quoting 2_amazing_boys:

In GA starting this year you have to report to the state if homeschooling. DH continually asks her for evidence of their schooll schedule and attendance as well as work but she has excuses. We had to go thru DCS in our county to get anything done. Her county just lets it ride like it is nothing. I have seen the kids freak out because they left a water bottle at our house and were supposed to bring it home. We have clothes for them here and they dress accordingly when they are here on their own and if not they are told to go change, but they usually get it right which doesn't make sense to me.

Quoting AmyB118:

As for your update....why, with all this documentation don't the courts step in? If you are going solely on the word of the 7 YO then I would believe 50% of what the child says.  If it's that bad then DSS should be involved. Home schooling in my state requires specific testing and curriculum to be handed in.  If she's not doing that then she should have to put them in school.  If no one from the school district is monitoring them then bad on the school district.  Does your DH have a contact there that is in contact w/BM and their progress?

Clothing is not a hill to die on for me.  If DD is clean it's her problem if she's cold.  I provide plenty of clothes here for her to wear - she's old enough to figure it out.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmyB118
by NA Rocks on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:49 PM

See.....I never fussed about what BM did concerning SSs.  They are her kids.  If DH had an issue then he took it up w/BM.  Ad for clothes, I am sure my fictional SM would blow a gasket at how I let DD dress.  If she chooses to freeze, then that's on her.  Me? I always made sure she had a jacket during this time of year, but she rarely wore it.  In fact, I keep sweat jackets in my truck in case our weather changes - we are in MD - today was freezing but tomorrow is supposed to be in the 70's.  DD wears flip flops all the time, so do I.  

I don't get why so many SMs blame BM for all the disease and pestulance in the world.....

As for the home schooling- that is on both BM and BF.  If BF has an issue w/it, assuming his CO says he gets educational say so, then it's up to BF to do something about whatever he dislikes pertaining to the schooling.  If he chooses to do nothing then it's really a waste of SM's time and energy to "vent" about how BM is and what she's choosing to do re: their educational needs.  OSS quit school....BM and DH allowed it....I was against it, but he's not my child so I had no say in the matter.  

I've chosen to direct my energy to my own DD.  I will drag her by her flip flops to school every day if she says she wants to quit at 16....I will sit next to her in class if she falters....she knows this. If my fictional SM tried to intervene in DD's education I'd be all over her.....lucky there's no SM :)

Quoting GlockMom:

They weren't with BM. If they were dressed inappropriately for the weather it was BF fault as they were with him.

You had a huge gripe with something minor that was not even her doing. When no one jumped on board with how bad BM IS you started in with all the bad details. Makes it seem very fabricated.

It's very typical.

Quoting 2_amazing_boys:

I went to the school board plus my mom homeschools my sister...and up until THIS year you had to report to the county and the county reported to the state. So, I have my facts straight and I know exactly what I am talking about as I have found out all of the info as I have seriously considered homeschooling my DS6 who is ADHD. Now you report directly to the state via mail or e-mail because counties were not reporting properly and weren't reporting if kids were even enrolled in homeschool and weren't keeping up with attendance etc.

I don't understand why you feel the direct need to contradict everything I say because it was windy Sunday. To windy and cool for kids to be wearing shorts and tank tops. Yes the weather is typical but it has got cool and stayed that way finally instead of being in the 80s one day and 60s the next! You seem to be someone who always has to be right...just sayin!

Quoting GlockMom:

Sweetheart, get your facts straight. My sister was homeschooled for high school. She is 29 now. So that was 13 years ago. My mother had to do all that documenting and reporting to the state. That did not start this year. Where are you pulling this stuff?

And for the ladies that don't live in GA or have never been here during the fall, the weather we had this weekend is REALLY textbook normal for this area. The weather wasn't weirdly freaking cold. It was cool in the morning, warmed up nice, was breezy but not windy and cooled off when the sun went down. It was fall conditions.....cause guess what? It is FALL.

Quoting 2_amazing_boys:

In GA starting this year you have to report to the state if homeschooling. DH continually asks her for evidence of their schooll schedule and attendance as well as work but she has excuses. We had to go thru DCS in our county to get anything done. Her county just lets it ride like it is nothing. I have seen the kids freak out because they left a water bottle at our house and were supposed to bring it home. We have clothes for them here and they dress accordingly when they are here on their own and if not they are told to go change, but they usually get it right which doesn't make sense to me.

Quoting AmyB118:

As for your update....why, with all this documentation don't the courts step in? If you are going solely on the word of the 7 YO then I would believe 50% of what the child says.  If it's that bad then DSS should be involved. Home schooling in my state requires specific testing and curriculum to be handed in.  If she's not doing that then she should have to put them in school.  If no one from the school district is monitoring them then bad on the school district.  Does your DH have a contact there that is in contact w/BM and their progress?

Clothing is not a hill to die on for me.  If DD is clean it's her problem if she's cold.  I provide plenty of clothes here for her to wear - she's old enough to figure it out.

jessiesluv
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:53 PM

If she is doing all of that (whats in your update) then why haven't the kids been taken from her?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN