Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

WTF! Not sure what to think...

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:47 PM
  • 15 Replies
Ok so my ss has been going to therapy most every week since beginning of august. His step-dad (well technically hi bm ex boyfriend but they were together for 6 years so might as well say stepdad) took him yesterday to his therapy appointment and apparently the therapist 'released' ss from therapy. We were suppose to get info on getting him tested for adhd and possibly ocd (his mom has it so we'd like to get him tested for it so we can start helping him with it early) which we never got. My ss still spends several nights a week crying when its bedtime bc he misses his mom and stepdad being together. Yes there have been improvements and maybe he doesnt need to go every week anymore, but me and more importantly dh thinks he still needs to go atleast a time or two a month to prevent him from going backwards. My ss is 6, we've had him since january. He doesnt see his bm bc she has supervised visits through a visitation center that she has yet go do her end of the paperwork for. He still gets to see his ex-stepdad bc he has his other half sister and well for 6 years he's been a big part of ss's life. Dh is gonna call the therapist office tomorrow to find out what the hell, because last saturday she said nothing about possibly releasing him soon...i guess we'll be finding him a new therapist soon...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessiesluv
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:20 PM
2 moms liked this

Shouldn't she have told your dh instead of bm's ex?

ramita
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:29 PM
He's given them permission to share info with the exsf because of our situation, but u'd think we would've atleast gotten a phone call...

Quoting jessiesluv:

Shouldn't she have told your dh instead of bm's ex?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessiesluv
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Oh.. I can see giving them info, but not releasing him. Thats weird.

ramita
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:36 PM
Yea i know
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
E_is_4_Ethan
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Yep, that sounds strange.

sassy711
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this

A sad fact of counseling is that it's often based on the insurance company and how many visits are allowed/authorized.  While this may not be the case for your SS you really need to s/w the counselor about what issues s/he diagnosed at the initial session and how many have been addressed/resolved.  Then you need to ask if other issues arose during the course of therapy and find out the status of those issues.  If this is an insurance issues then you may need to find another therapist that allows a sliding fee scale for services  vs how much an insurance company will allow.  Either way, if SS is still having problems then his issues aren't yet resolved and he'll need more therapy.  Additionally, DH and you should probably attend a few sessions so that you'll know what and how to help SS when issues arise at home.  Good luck

ramita
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:14 AM
Well atleast i know its not insurance related, we've been paying out of pocket. We've never really attened any but we've always spoken to her in depth about whats been going on and she would tell us he needs a little more time and that bringing him there will help him sort it out. The unresolved stuff that she brought up that he was showing signs of is part of why its so aggravating. My dh left a message so hopefully she'll get back to him quickly...if not then i plan on going back to his drs office and talking to him...

Quoting sassy711:

A sad fact of counseling is that it's often based on the insurance company and how many visits are allowed/authorized.  While this may not be the case for your SS you really need to s/w the counselor about what issues s/he diagnosed at the initial session and how many have been addressed/resolved.  Then you need to ask if other issues arose during the course of therapy and find out the status of those issues.  If this is an insurance issues then you may need to find another therapist that allows a sliding fee scale for services  vs how much an insurance company will allow.  Either way, if SS is still having problems then his issues aren't yet resolved and he'll need more therapy.  Additionally, DH and you should probably attend a few sessions so that you'll know what and how to help SS when issues arise at home.  Good luck

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheMomOf3-00
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Have you contacted the therapest? 

Asked if this is even true? I dont know how Sdad is, but that just seems weird, especially if hes not paying for it!! Is he the only one who takese him there?

ramita
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:46 AM
Dh did first thing this morning and left a voice message, as far as i know he never heard back from her. Its a small office only two ladies and they're not always in the office, so it may take them a little while to get back to him... Oh and we're normally the ones that take him but some weekends his sdad wants him for some family thing either the night before or very soon after ss appointment so he just takes him. Plus, the therapist wanted him involved some.

Quoting TheMomOf3-00:

Have you contacted the therapest? 

Asked if this is even true? I dont know how Sdad is, but that just seems weird, especially if hes not paying for it!! Is he the only one who takese him there?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheMomOf3-00
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Please update once you hear from the therapest.

I am one of those parents who thinks the worst, I have been set up for failure by others and I have watched as manipulative people have acted sneaky to try and watch me crash!!! I get paranoid and always feel that someone may be up to something. I could probably be considered VERY paranoid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)