Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

OT: DS over family pet, but I still feel bad...

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:56 PM
  • 5 Replies

DH's dog snapped at DS last week.  We have NEVER had any issues with him and kids, but luckily I don't allow the dog and DS to be alone together and was close enough to grab the dog when he lunged at DS's face over a toy.  This is the one thing that I will not tolerate from a dog and I gave DH until Sunday to find somewhere for the dog to go. 

DH found someone to take him and is heartbroken.  I feel bad b/c DH had the dog long before DS was even thought of, but I can't help but keep playing the what-ifs in my head.   I feel sick every time I think about the fact that he was within an inch of biting DS in the face, that if I not been sitting right beside DS things would have turned out very different... It's hard to see DH so upset, I understand why the dog reacted, my mom was a breeder and trainer, so I get it, but the mom side of me can't help but be relieved that he is gone.

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mamaBerg85
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:58 PM
In time he wilk get over it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newstepmom61811
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:37 PM

It's a dog...

that tried to bite his son's face

he'll get over it...

amonkeymom
by Amy on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:59 PM

hugs  You did the right thing mama, no matter how hard it was.  DS's safety is most important.

ShannaBee
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:12 PM

I understand. I will not tolerate that either. I know people say you can train the dog but I still would never trust the dog to give it a second chance, my child is more important than an animal. But he needs to see that what you did was right. Babies come before dogs.

rebeccasmly
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:46 PM

We had that with a newborn puppy we fostered. We fostered 4 of them, decided to keep one. SHe was great. We bottle fed her, raised her with our other dogs. Noticed about a year old she could be very aggressive with the other 2 dogs. Surprised me since my female had with us for several years and the whole alpha dog thing. Then she snapped at my son who was 7 at the time. She caught him on the stomach bruising him and tearing open the skin a small amount. All that ran through my mind was, if this was a few months earlier after his surgery and he had the tubes still running out of his stomach and back, the consequences would have been horrible. I told DH he needed to rehome her. It was hard on all of us, especially the kids but I felt I had no choice. I'm sorry you had to get rid of a loved pet but you did the right thing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)