Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Today will be weird. **Update on reply 12** Update again with results

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 8:57 AM
  • 29 Replies

SS (12) has a biopsy of his small intestine today. BM can not come, as she has to work. DH decided this morning that he MAY take off to come, but hasn't decided for sure yet. Yesterday, when BM dropped SS off, she informed me that her boyfriend will be joining me at the hospital for this procedure. It will be incredibly weird.

DH & I have met bf only a dozen or so times (on a talking level, we've seen him many times), he sees SS only on weekends, and not all that much on the weekends - BM & SS stay with her family on weekends because bf's house isn't suitable for SS to stay in. So, he KNOWS SS, but he doesn't KNOOOOOW SS. Does that make sense? And I don't know him. They've been together a few years, but it still feels like it's going to be super akward.

I had to have authorization signed by DH to give me permission to take SS to appointments, and this children's hospital checked to make sure I had authorization at SS's PCP. So, I don't think mom's boyfriend is going to get to go back with SS until he falls asleep & when he wakes up, and I have a feeling this is going to cause issues with BM.

So, be thinking of us!

BTW, the biopsy is to rule out/diagnose celiac disease.

My actions do not just affect my life, but also the lives of those that depend on me. Therefore, I choose to make good decisions, ones that will have a positive impact on the lives I've been given to raise up.

by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 8:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tallymom377
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 8:59 AM

That does sound like it may get weird. Hopefully she doesn'tcause drama and if she wants him to have the same rights she needs to fill out the same paperwork.

daddysgf
by and that's all on Oct. 22, 2012 at 9:12 AM
I'll be thinking of you!
I had one of those done in the spring... I made my mom take the day off work lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 9:35 AM
7 moms liked this

Maybe BM didn't know her boyfriend needed this authorization. Did you let her know?

it's nice of the boyfriend to go to the hospital. But I don't know why the bioparents didn't make more of an effort to be there themselves. I certainly can't imagine sending in a stand-in if it were my child.

WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Dad should have taken off to be with his child.

laughnchica
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 1:57 PM
My SO would have taken the whole day off for that. No way would he would just try...it wouldn't be a question more of a fact that he takes the day off no matter what..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rebeccasmly
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 2:03 PM

This. My DH was with me when my son had his last surgery but it was me who was in the room alone with my son, it was me he last before being wheeled away. It was also me he saw when he came to. I would never send DH to something like this alone. I would do everything I can physically do to be there.

I hope your DH will take the time off to be with son. And I hope its not too weird with BM's bf.

Quoting whatIknownow:

Maybe BM didn't know her boyfriend needed this authorization. Did you let her know?

it's nice of the boyfriend to go to the hospital. But I don't know why the bioparents didn't make more of an effort to be there themselves. I certainly can't imagine sending in a stand-in if it were my child.

MomGoingCrazy78
by Lindy Lou on Oct. 22, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Good luck! I can't imagine my DH not taking off work to be there if SD was having a procedure done...

DDDaysh
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Yeah, that blows my mind!  Who doesn't take off for something this serious? 

Quoting whatIknownow:

Emyles
by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 12:31 AM
It'll be okay, I bet Bf is kinda thinking the same way you are! And don't want to be that close, just enough to update bm and say he was there!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sassy711
by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 11:48 AM

BM and DH should be there for their kid who is probably scared spitless.  This is NOT the time for proxy parenting!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)