Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Having For Thanksgiving Dinner?? Turkey(for most) of course,but what else??

by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 8:53 PM
Replies (11-15):
luckystars2012
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 3:19 PM
We are having at least 20 people over, we have a large, close knit group of friends here which is great since both our families are far away.

Were making the Turkeys, mashed potatoes, gravy, deviled eggs, and cheesecake. Everyone is bringing something so we will have quite a feast.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AmyB118
by NA Rocks on Nov. 12, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I'm cooking.....turkey breast, spiral honey ham, stuffing, potatoes, tons of veggies, sauerkraut & pork, DD14 makes her own homemade cranberry sauce.  We're only having DH, me, DD14, my parents and quite possibly my BFF.  The "guests" are bringing dessert but I've got a pumpkin pie to cook if they flake on me :)

blondepegasus
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:05 AM
Growing up, we always had the regular spread most of you described at my grandparents' house. One year, my aunt and uncle who lived a few hours away invited us for Thanksgiving. My parents accepted and we drove all that way to be presented with a Thanksgiving dinner of fried fish that my uncle had caught himself, cole slaw, and baked beans. Can you say disappointed? We ate a bit, stayed a reasonable amount of time to not be rude, then slipped out (there were tons of people so our presence wasn't too badly missed) and went to a restaurant for a proper Thanksgiving feast. We were a family of 5 and I think at least 4 of us got in the car to leave their house crying because we'd had no turkey for Thanksgiving....lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LittleMama2012
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:12 AM
Well I am working my normal 8 hours so I am making a turkey breast. I am not inviting anyone. The in laws are at odds with Dh over SD behavior and them not having free reign. I do not feel like spending the little bit of holiday I will be home watching them ignore the boys and kiss the princesses butt. My parents split last year and holidays are weird and full of division. I'm sure mom will be over at some point, she has to work as well. This is why only a Turkey breast, rolls, mashed potatoes, green beans corn, sweet potatoes and some kind of dessert.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pdxmum
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Turkey two ways.  Butcher the sucker.  Hack off the legs and thighs.  Remove backbone and wings for gravy.  Brine and roast the breast and stuffing.  This year I am going to confit the dark meat in duck fat and then crisp up the skin right before serving.  Sweet potato and carrot purée. Mashed potatoes. Creamed onions. Green beans. Rolls. Gravy. Instead of cranberry sauce, lingonberries from Ikea.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)