Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Easy winter recipes

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:08 PM
  • 63 Replies

I need new ideas.

I'm not a fan of casseroles, but I do LOVE soup.

Please share!

eating

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Today I'm making a wintery reciepe I think lol

1 lb pork sausage
minced garlic
chopped onions
chopped sweet peppers

small head of cabbage, cored and sliced thin

flavored rice & wild rice (I used box mix, combine flavoring with about 2/3 the amount of water called for)

ground ginger

Fry sausage with garlic, onions & peppers, drain.

Add sliced cabbage, rice, water mixed with seasoning mix.

cover and simmer until cabbage tender crisp.

add ground ginger to taste.

it's like a spring roll in a pan!

saywhat2102
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this

eatingThe moving tongue is making me laugh!!!  Its so creepy!!!!  Vegetable soup is always a crowd favorite.  LOL it keeps moving

GlockMom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Curry Beef!!  SOOOOOO GOOD!!  I serve it over Basmati or Jasmin rice.  I got the recipe from a friend from Kenya.  It is actually a recipe for curry goat (which was AWESOME) but goat is pretty hard to get around here and my kids would die if I served goat.  Add the spices and peppers to your taste as the curry and peppers can end up HOT if you aren't careful.  I like it hot, but some may not.  I like to use the medium heat Rotel tomatoes for ease.  This is a pretty fast meal to make.  Its better if you have time to let it simmer a bit.  And don't fear the coconut milk, it really adds a nice, slightly sweet creaminess to the sauce.  It wouldn't be the same without it.

Beef cubes (stew meat works great)

Onions

Garlic

Tomatoes - I use diced canned tomatoes

Curry powder

Jalapeno pepper - or Serrano peppers

Cilantro

Coconut milk

Directions:

Put beef into a skillet over medium heat and let it cook until moisture starts to evaporate. Add onions and garlic; cook for about 20 minutes stirring often. Add curry powder and jalapeno peppers to your taste - you can also add red chili powder if you like it spicy hot; let it cook until almost all the liquid has evaporated then add the tomatoes and coconut milk. Cook covered over low heat for about an hour - add water or broth if necessary. Add the cilantro. Simmer until tender.

MommySabs
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Okay I know I waaayy over use this phrase but do you go on pinterest? If so look up baked potato soup for the crock pot! It is sooooooooo goooood!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GlockMom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:46 PM
2 moms liked this

Thanksgiving Casserole.  I make this when I have left over mashed taters.  I don't like the box stuff at all.  Spray a pan, make a layer of the mashed potatoes, a layer of corn (i like frozen, but canned and drained is ok too), a layer of sliced roasted turkey breast, pour turkey gravy over that and crust it with the prepared boxed stuffing.  Bake for about 30 minutes at 350 or until the gravy is nice and bubbly.  My kids love this and DS asks for this ALL. THE. TIME. 

I know you said no casserole, but its super easy and everyone (even me the food snob) likes this massive amount of bad for you comfort food.  I only make it maybe once a year.  I usually serve it with a nice green salad or fresh cooked green beans.

GlockMom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:49 PM

White chicken chili.  Sooooooo good.  Pampered Chef's recipe for this is the best I have tried so far.  It is supposed to be made in their stoneware crock in the microwave but I cook it in a regular pot on the stove top like every other recipe. 

Mamaslilbear10
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:53 PM

I so wanna make this now... thanks for sharing,sounds delicious.... :)

Quoting GlockMom:

Thanksgiving Casserole.  I make this when I have left over mashed taters.  I don't like the box stuff at all.  Spray a pan, make a layer of the mashed potatoes, a layer of corn (i like frozen, but canned and drained is ok too), a layer of sliced roasted turkey breast, pour turkey gravy over that and crust it with the prepared boxed stuffing.  Bake for about 30 minutes at 350 or until the gravy is nice and bubbly.  My kids love this and DS asks for this ALL. THE. TIME. 

I know you said no casserole, but its super easy and everyone (even me the food snob) likes this massive amount of bad for you comfort food.  I only make it maybe once a year.  I usually serve it with a nice green salad or fresh cooked green beans.

GlockMom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Beef stroganoff.  Large can cream of mushroom soup, medium sized container sour cream, 2 pounds ground meat (lean beef is best but I use ground turkey for a lot of stuff), browned with a chopped onion and well drained.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Serve over prepared, lightly buttered egg noodles.  The butter is to keep them sticking together.

Steamedpuddle30
by Hi, my name is... on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:57 PM
This sounds good. My skids and kids like that KFC mashed bowls. It has about the same ingredients.

Quoting GlockMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GlockMom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Disclaimer: 

I do not cook comfort, "cold weather" food like this stuff often.  We are usually a baked or grilled chicken or fish with steamed veggies or salad house.  If I cooked stuff like that all the time I wouldn't fit through my front door.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN