Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

I need new ideas.

I'm not a fan of casseroles, but I do LOVE soup.

Please share!

eating

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:08 PM
Replies (31-40):
luckystars2012
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:52 PM

We make crock pot meals a LOt on the winter.

Today J made beef stew.  Stew meat, carrots, potatoes, onions, water, beef boullion, and seasonings to taste, cooked allllllll day long.  

Spaghetti and meatballs-season ground meat with garlic, onion powder, pepper, whatever you like, and make meatballs no bigger than one inch.  Bake in oven for 20 mins at 350. Add sauce of your choice to crock pot, add in meatballs. cook for 4 hours on lowest heat setting, seasoning to taste.  Boil up some noodles, or during the last hour and a half bake a spaghetti squash at 350, cut horizontally, scoop out seeds, and shred the flesh with a fork.  makes a great healthy alternative to pasta.

We do lots of cream soups.  KopyKat has a great one for Chicken & Gnocchi soup (think Olive Garden).

Basic potato soup, chop potatoes, cook in crock pot on high in water for an hour to soften.  while cooking, in a skillet cook up a pound of bacon, half a vidalia onion finely chopped, and a bunch of green onions finally chopped (cook only the onion part, save the chive part). drain bacon/onions well on paper towels, o get rid of the grease.  drain water from crock pot, add in milk , onions, bacon, cook for 1 hour on low.  Add in chives and if you want, bacon bits.  Season to taste with garlic, onion, pepper, basil, etc. cook for another hour on low, eat.

luckystars2012
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Sorry its not more exact Im a horrible recipie follower-but a great cook! lol

I tend to start with the basics, and then just throw in a little of this and a lot of that, till it tastes good LOL

GlockMom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:03 PM
I do the exact same thing. All my stuff is in my head except for things I bake. Measurements are so much more important for baking.

Quoting luckystars2012:

I tend to start with the basics, and then just throw in a little of this and a lot of that, till it tastes good LOL

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
E_is_4_Ethan
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I love cream soups! Oh, in a bread bowl.

I do the same, but all these are great. I'm going to make a lot of them.

Quoting luckystars2012:

annabl1970
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Vegetable borscht

Prepare the veggies:

Shred the 2 large carrots, 2 large beets. Cut 2 potatoes in cubes. Cut thinly 1 large onion. 3 cups of white cabbage, cut very thinly into shreds. Some minced garlic(optional) Finely chopped parsley for garnish. Some sour cream ( optional)

6 cups of vegetable stock ( you can use beef stock if you want, it taste even better, but then, it's no more a vegetable soup, LOL)

Saute veggies in this order in 2- 3 spoons of vegetable oil:

Onions

Carrots

Beets

Boil the stock. After veggies are soft, add the hot stock and cabbage and potatoes. Bring to boil, simmer very low 20-25 min, add garlic, and some of the parsley, salt, black pepper. Simmer 5 min.

Serve with left parsley, and sour cream (optional)

DH adds lemon juice. Some like ito eat it with vinegar.

Quoting saywhat2102:

Glock, got any easy veggie recipes in your hat?

Quoting GlockMom:

Quoting Steamedpuddle30:

This sounds good. My skids and kids like that KFC mashed bowls. It has about the same ingredients.

Quoting GlockMom:

Thanksgiving Casserole.  I make this when I have left over mashed taters.  I don't like the box stuff at all.  Spray a pan, make a layer of the mashed potatoes, a layer of corn (i like frozen, but canned and drained is ok too), a layer of sliced roasted turkey breast, pour turkey gravy over that and crust it with the prepared boxed stuffing.  Bake for about 30 minutes at 350 or until the gravy is nice and bubbly.  My kids love this and DS asks for this ALL. THE. TIME. 

I know you said no casserole, but its super easy and everyone (even me the food snob) likes this massive amount of bad for you comfort food.  I only make it maybe once a year.  I usually serve it with a nice green salad or fresh cooked green beans.

When they came out with that my DS said they stole my recipe. 

annabl1970
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:20 PM

I love the classical borscht. With beef. Cook the beef in salty water ( for 1-1/2 hour), use it instead of veggies stock. The rest almost the same. Just you need to add sauteed veggies to simmering beef stock.

Quoting annabl1970:

Vegetable borscht

Prepare the veggies:

Shred the 2 large carrots, 2 large beets. Cut 2 potatoes in cubes. Cut thinly 1 large onion. 3 cups of white cabbage, cut very thinly into shreds. Some minced garlic(optional) Finely chopped parsley for garnish. Some sour cream ( optional)

6 cups of vegetable stock ( you can use beef stock if you want, it taste even better, but then, it's no more a vegetable soup, LOL)

Saute veggies in this order in 2- 3 spoons of vegetable oil:

Onions

Carrots

Beets

Boil the stock. After veggies are soft, add the hot stock and cabbage and potatoes. Bring to boil, simmer very low 20-25 min, add garlic, and some of the parsley, salt, black pepper. Simmer 5 min.

Serve with left parsley, and sour cream (optional)

DH adds lemon juice. Some like ito eat it with vinegar.

Quoting saywhat2102:

Glock, got any easy veggie recipes in your hat?

Quoting GlockMom:

Quoting Steamedpuddle30:

This sounds good. My skids and kids like that KFC mashed bowls. It has about the same ingredients.

Quoting GlockMom:

Thanksgiving Casserole.  I make this when I have left over mashed taters.  I don't like the box stuff at all.  Spray a pan, make a layer of the mashed potatoes, a layer of corn (i like frozen, but canned and drained is ok too), a layer of sliced roasted turkey breast, pour turkey gravy over that and crust it with the prepared boxed stuffing.  Bake for about 30 minutes at 350 or until the gravy is nice and bubbly.  My kids love this and DS asks for this ALL. THE. TIME. 

I know you said no casserole, but its super easy and everyone (even me the food snob) likes this massive amount of bad for you comfort food.  I only make it maybe once a year.  I usually serve it with a nice green salad or fresh cooked green beans.

When they came out with that my DS said they stole my recipe. 

faerie75
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:24 PM
Yes and yes!

Quoting GlockMom:

This sounds friggin awesome. I am adding ingredients for this to my grocery list for shopping Sunday. I am totally making it next week. Does it reheat well. I would like to make enough for leftovers.

LOVE leftovers. People can nosh on things and I don't have to constantly make meals. Lunch time DD AND DS? Go heat up something from the fridge.

Quoting faerie75:

oh i make a bomb tortilla soup too.

couple chicken breasts

couple squash in chunks

1.5 cup shredded cabbage

couple of potatoes, peeled and in chunks

couple carrots in chunks

1.4 cup diced onion

2 minced garlic cloves

couple tablespoons olive oil

1.4 cup rice

couple stalks of celery in chunks

6 quarts water

4 chicken bouiliion cubes

couple of tablespoons of the adobo thats in a can of chipotle peppers with adobo

can of ro tel

pinch or oregano

pinch of cumin

salt and pepper to taste

strips of corn tortilla, fried and drained

cilantr4o, sliced avocado, adn shredded cheese for garnish

in a large stock pot, heat olive oil. sautee the garlic, onion, and celery. add the water and chicken. bring to a boil. add chicken bouillion and simmer 15 minutes. add carrots, potato, can of ro tel and simmer another 15 minutes. add remaning incrediets (except the tortillas and garnish) remove the chicken and shred it. re add, simmer another 15 minutes. serve with the tortillas and garnish.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Charli627
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:26 PM
Sorry not a big cooker lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
E_is_4_Ethan
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:52 PM

I LOVE FOOD, but I HATE to cook. I can cook. I cook good... I just don't like to.

Quoting Charli627:

Sorry not a big cooker lol

jessiesluv
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Yes. They all look the same to me. lol

Quoting E_is_4_Ethan:

Oh, did he get the 2nd one?

I did.. I did! LOL

Food + black Ops = perfect

Quoting jessiesluv:

Trying to get my husband off of Black Ops to cook supper. lol

Quoting E_is_4_Ethan:

Right?!

Quoting jessiesluv:

Great. Now I'm hungry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)