Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Does your SK correct people when they call you their mom?

Posted by   + Show Post

"SD" doesn't call me mom, we came up with our own nicknames for eachother. For the first time today, I had someone call me "mom" to her.  DF and I took her to get her hair cut and DF was reading the newspaper and I was over by "SD"  talking to her and instructing the hairdresser on what we wanted done, what needed tweaked a little.  When the woman was done she turned "SD" toward me and said "let's see what mom thinks" and "SD" just said "ok".  I was a little suprised because I figured "SD" would giggle and be like "that's not my mommyyyy" or something. But she didn't.  And I didn't want to be like "Oh, she's not my daughter" or something because what does it matter to this woman, y'know? I'm never going to see her again, who cares if she knows my relationship to "SD" and if "SD" didn't want to mention it I figured why should I? So I didn't correct her or anything. Did I do something wrong by letting that woman believe "SD" was my daughter?

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 4:10 PM
Replies (11-20):
LittleMama2012
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:07 PM
My SD corrects everyone. She will very loudly say,"that is not my mom. That is my STEPMOM!" Emphasis on the step mom. It's whatever. I don't care, although she could be more polite about it, but she's not really polite about anything, and corrects anyone about anything, even when she doesn't have a clue what she is talking about.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CometGirl
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:28 PM

My step children never corrected anyone about this subject.

angelmommy2806
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:32 PM
They never correct people. People at the school call me their mom and I do correct them, but they continue to call me mom. None of them have said anything to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KellyReedy
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:09 PM

My skids always correct someone!  Even to my co workers who knew but if we'd see them at a store...they'd say ohhh these are your kids you're always talking about.  They would snap and say STEP KIDS! SHE'S OUR STEP MOM!

Blend in!

KellyReedy
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:09 PM

WAIT, DO WE HAVE THE SAME SD???

Quoting LittleMama2012:

My SD corrects everyone. She will very loudly say,"that is not my mom. That is my STEPMOM!" Emphasis on the step mom. It's whatever. I don't care, although she could be more polite about it, but she's not really polite about anything, and corrects anyone about anything, even when she doesn't have a clue what she is talking about.

gma12.1
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Lina is 8 and she will tell ppl "that my grandma" real proud. She is a sn and to her Grandma is Mom even tho she calls her Mom, Mom. It is a complicated situation. I let her do the correcting she likes it. I don't mind. Most of the time I will correct ppl but there have been times when I don't.

QueenBof6
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:18 PM
SD doesn't she just laughs.

SS gets mad and corrects it immediately.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
....ClvrScn.
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:31 PM

We just recconected with DH's family on his dads side ( his mom kept them from their dad and lied about him, so DH didn't want anything to do with his dad until he was almost 28 years old - they now havea great relationship). He has 5 younger brothers ages 6-18. We were over there and DH was hanging out with his dad, and SD wanted to go outside with the boys. So she asked the 10 year old if she could go too. He told her you have to ask mommy - her little face lit up when she thought mommy was there, and she was looking around all over. He took her shoulders and turned her towards me, and she looked confused. She asked me where mommy was - I joked it off - I said "hehe he thinks I'm mommy, tell him "her names michelle silly" - " she laughed it off too.

She just turned 5 - she doesn't get the step dynamics. As far as she's concerned - I am Michelle, daddy's wife. Not her stepmom.

Tigress22304
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:18 PM

In the 6yrs I"ve been around the skids-not once did they ever correct anyone if I was referred as "Mom"

I've even had BM refer to me as their other mother once at a family function she was hostessing.

My family refers to the skids as "kat's oldest/youngest" etc or they'll say "your son"

But really-it's nobody's business if I'm Mom or not. The kids know BM is MOM and I'm SM or Kat.

suzysdaughter
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Quoting KellyReedy:

WAIT, DO WE HAVE THE SAME SD???

Quoting LittleMama2012:

I think we may all share the same SD. I have 1 SD that will correct ppl even if they don't call me mom, if I say something like We have a nother son he just isn't here. She will say as loud as she can. "Your not our mom" I finally was embarrassed one time I replied with "We all know I am not your mom" My other SD and SS wouldn't dare do that. As a matter of fact at my wedding in front of everyone my youngest sd said "I Love You Mom" she knew what she was saying. Seems like a lifetime ago now....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)