Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Dh just got laid off... :(

On thursday he got back to the job site afte a long day,basically told him he didnt do anything wrong,said there were many more on the list for people that are going to be laid off... but told him he will be able to go back next spring,and that he can get unemployment until then... Now he applied for unemployment the same day,still has to complete the assesment test the fl law requires before he can start to receive compensation($$)... So how do we tell/let bm know she may have a lil wait after his last payday from this company(which is next week) before she gets another CS payment??? We know she'll probably be pissed,but shit happens... :(   So if you have any opinions,let us know... I am now working,but its no 40hrs a week yet,i work at mc donald's for 7.67 an hr... less than i was making at the last mc d's i worked at which was more like $8.45 an hr... so i dont think i could afford to help him pay it until his unemployment kicks in... Again if you have anyopinions please let us know... thank you...

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:24 PM
Replies (11-18):
WildCat73
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:01 PM
If there is a CO you need to tell the court or cs agency.
robsgurl_23
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:06 PM

i would just tell her that he got laid off and will not be getting a pay check. Do you have to let her know what he would be getting for unemployment?

....ClvrScn.
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:27 PM

When my DH lost his job, he came right home and started putting in applications online. He got a call for an interview the same day. He was back at work the following Monday - BM's child support was delayed by a week. We let her know as soon as he had the new job, since it was only a few days. I'd let her know right away. Especially if he never misses a payment, like my DH - she probably relies on it.

DDDaysh
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:45 PM

If there's a current garnishment order, then CS will be garnished from unemployment.  If there's not a current garnishment order, then as soon as he stops paying, she'll probably get one, so there's no reason not to be honest about it. 

Quoting robsgurl_23:

i would just tell her that he got laid off and will not be getting a pay check. Do you have to let her know what he would be getting for unemployment?

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Well, DH and BM were court ordered to communicate via e-mail or text, because the judge was sick of BM making stuff up in court, and it ending up being our word against her's. Anyways, DH just e-mailed her and said that he lost his job, he was applying for unemployment and looking for work, as soon as either came through he'd let her know.

He also called the caseworker through the Department of Child Support (DCS) and let them know. Each state works differently, but in Washington state, there's no option to just send the money to BM. DCS automatically sends a garnishment letter to the NCP's place of employment and it's all taken care of from there. 

faerie75
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this

i wouldnt help my SO pay his child support. hell i have my own kids. id have him get it temporarily modified. expect her to be mad though.

OregonMom80
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:17 PM

This.

And find out if your state allows for a temporary modification while he's unemployed.  Many states have a temporary mod process, especially if it is automatically taken out of his checks.  DH was unemployed briefly and the state was actually proactive about sending him info on how to do it.  Not all states are.  He knew it was temporary, so he didn't modify.  Given all the grief BM has put him through and legal fees since, he probably wishes he had.

Quoting sid1083:

Just as you did here. Leave your income statement out of it.

Your DH, "BM, I wanted to make you aware that I lost my job on Friday and while I am applying for unemployment and looking now for my next move, cs will be late this month."

State the facts, keep words at a minimum and go from there.

Quoting Mamaslilbear10:

but how exactly would you let her`(bm) know?

Quoting sid1083:

Let her know as soon as possible. I just know as a recipient, sure it sucks but the more time I have, the better chance I have at making other arrangements to my budget.

rose0919
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:26 PM

i was never told by xh. it just stopped 6 yrs ago and never started again. we have been to court over and over he is told to  pay but doesnt.

when dh lost his job he told bm right away and then filed for a modification(he wasnt getting as much from unemployment as he would if he was working) and it was lowerd to almot half .as long as your upfront and dont hide the truth the courts are ok with lowering it. my xh didnt tell anyone and tried 2 years ago to get it lowerd and the judge said no if he had done it right up front it would have changed but he has bought  a new truck ,harley, a boat all since he "lost" his job.

i would suggest being upfront and get the modification done asap

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)