Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

can someone explain to me

Posted by   + Show Post
Negotiating with a child about taking meds they HAVE to take.
I fully understand giving children choices in their life. I believe somethings-like taking meds- are not something a child gets to choose. Pretending as if it is a choice makes no sense to me at all.
Someone please explain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:07 PM
Replies (11-15):
rose0919
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:55 AM

my dd is the odd one she wont take liquid anything  and has been swallowing pills since she was 2.the hard part was getting a childrens dose in pill form. ss wont take a pill he takes a lot of meds. dh wont negotiate with him. but normall he is good about taking his asthma meds its just other things he gives a hard time about.

Charli627
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:09 PM
Oddly my children seem to like taking medication. My 2yr dd would fight but it was really cause she wanted to do it herself, so when she has a cold, i put the recommended dose in the spoon/ measuring cup and hand it to her, no problems.

Quoting grumpyboston:

Never had this issue my children don't fight to take meds they know they need them
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SassyMom25
Hoping the weather holds out for trick-or-treating tonight!
Yesterday at 11:24 AM
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:44 PM
If there is an option, give the child a choice of when they take it. Before or after breakfast, etc. Sometimes giving them an 'option' that isn't important can make a big difference.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ManicAttack
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:31 AM

This isn't a choice for the child to make- this is a decision that her HEALTH depends on.  As soon as I saw "meds to breathe" I knew the answer.  I have severe asthma.  And let me tell you something- 

I'm not sure what your SD takes for her breathing problems, but I wish that I'd had the meds I do NOW when I was a kid.  I'm almost positive I'd have had a healthier and more active life as a kid.  I really hope her parents don't let her decide if she wants to take them or not.  Ugh.  That's just asking for problems.

Quoting Raspberry393:

That makes sense to me, but my SD is 7 and requires meds to breath. It's not a choice if she takes them.

Raspberry393
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:11 PM
When SD had meds to take her mither sends them with us for her to start taking them (she makes us the heavy). It's usually fine, SD knows with me there is no choice. She's got the worst allergies I've ever seen. She got a new nasal spray that she was nervous about. Her father spent 2 hrs negotiating with her because he doesn't like to see her upset. Funny thing is when he finally said, you have to take this-she took it. I just don't get the 2hrs of negotiation. Oh well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)