Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central
Does anyone not like being a step parent
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:09 PM
Replies (21-26):
jenesis915
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:33 AM
Nope but insist not enjoy having them to myself earlier lol I was going nuts!
ManicAttack
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:22 AM

I wish I would have dug deeper in the beginning instead of believing the "fuzzy little lies" SO told me about his divorce, BM, and SS.  He made it sound like everything ran smoothly for him and he rarely had issues with BM.

I may not have stuck around if I'd known the whole truth.

Nature_girl
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:43 PM

That is usually the root cause of an unhappy step mom - it is usually a DuH problem. Not always. Not always. There are no absolutes. But I know my house runs smoother when my Dh isnt' a DuH.

Quoting whatIknownow:

So maybe that's the real problem. not so much being a stepmom, but being married to a stupid man.

Quoting grumpyboston:

Because my husband is stupid 

grumpyboston
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:46 PM
So very very true when mine is quiet and in his own world mine is smooth well as smooth as it .us with children

Quoting Nature_girl:

That is usually the root cause of an unhappy step mom - it is usually a DuH problem. Not always. Not always. There are no absolutes. But I know my house runs smoother when my Dh isnt' a DuH.

Quoting whatIknownow:

So maybe that's the real problem. not so much being a stepmom, but being married to a stupid man.

Quoting grumpyboston:

Because my husband is stupid 

YesImMomToo
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:00 PM

once I learned to separate BM actions from the actual step parenting.. I love it. I admit that having a contentious abusive BM has made aspects of step-parenting almost unbearable at times.

But, i love the relationship I have with my StepSons.  I am a firm believer that you reap what you sow, so I put a lot of energy into it, a lot of conscience thought and sometime struggled through the patience part of letting it grow in their time table.

Would I do it again? Yes.. and Id be much smarter in the beginning about sheilding myself more from BM. But it was well worth it to grow through it.

faerie75
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:25 PM

i sort of see it as a thankless job haha. with your own kids it is also thankless but at least they love you unconditionally (for the most part). step kids arent even required to LIKE you. i am thankful that i have a good relationship with my SO's kids. i will do what i can to make sure it remains so.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN