Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

holy crap!

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:47 AM
  • 42 Replies
So today BM came to pick SD up (almost 3) and she started yelling "Mommy, Mommy" and what does my 2 year old do? Runs up to bm and starts yelling "mommy, mommy" too. It was pretty funny. It doesn't bother dh or me, but I wanted to make sure it didn't bother bm. So I sent her a text. I told her that I hope it didn't make her uncomfortable that dd calls her Mommy. Her response surprised me. She said "No, it doesn't make me uncomfortable at all. I was worried it bothered you. Sd has 2 mommy's, so why can't dd lol!"
Obviously bm isn't any way dd's mommy, but we all agree they are a little young to explain it to them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LittleMama2012
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:19 AM
If it doesn't bother you then I guess it is fine. I never had that issue with ds3. He has known that SD has a different mommy.
SammyJK
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Id have fallen over lol
squeakersmama
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:45 AM

We honestly haven't even tried to explain it to them. SD knows she has 2 mommy's (we have 50/50 and I've been in SD's life as long as DH has been-since 4 months) and DD just likes to copy her big sister. DD calls BM Mommy about half the time.

Quoting LittleMama2012:

If it doesn't bother you then I guess it is fine. I never had that issue with ds3. He has known that SD has a different mommy.

squeakersmama
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I almost did lol. We have a good working relationship with BM, or I do anyway, but I still wasn't expecting the 2 mommy thing. DH wants SD to call me Mommy (I said fine until she is old enough to understand and make her own choice), and BM wasn't thrilled about it. A few weeks ago she called me a really good mom and I almost fell over then too.

Quoting SammyJK:

Id have fallen over lol

chanizen
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:55 AM
2 moms liked this
When it doesn't bother anyone it is fine!

It's when. The title is used to alienate, or it does cause hard feelings it is not.....
whatIknownow
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it just shows that little kids calling someone "mommy" doesnt' mean anything. 

sassy711
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's great you and BM get along and can work well together.....

WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:20 AM

DS is 4 and has never thought BM, my sister, MIL, SIL or anyone else was his Mommy.   He was never too "young" to explain it to him.

squeakersmama
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:24 AM

That's fine for you. You and I have hashed this out plenty of times. I'm glad that what you do works for your family! BM, DH and I don't feel it is important to try to explain this to our kids yet. DD knows BM's name and if you ask her where SD is when she is at BM's DD will say Amber's house. She just gets excited when BM shows up to get SD and she gets excited because her sister gets excited. 

Quoting WifeyC:

DS is 4 and has never thought BM, my sister, MIL, SIL or anyone else was his Mommy.   He was never too "young" to explain it to him.

SassyMom25
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:36 AM
Doesn't sound like she thinks anyone else is mom, she just called her that. To me, if a kid doesn't call someone else mom at some point they either aren't around other people enough or are too afraid of moms reaction.

To feel the need to sit a child down who is under 5 to explain this comes across as very territorial.

Quoting WifeyC:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured