Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

$400 hair extensions for SD16. Get the $%^&*& out of here!

Posted by   + Show Post

SD16 and BM tell DH on Friday (notice I used the word "TELL") that she needs to get $400 hair extensions tomorrow.  Well, he blew it off and was like 'no, she can go to the salon and get her hair styled for the usual $85 we pay plus tip.  Why does she "need" hair extensions?'

Well this morning, BM called 1st thing and while I'm brushing my teeth, I overhear DH blowing his cool and he is normally very laid back, easy going etc.  By then, I step out the bathroom and try my BEST to stay out of it, but my nostrils were filling up with smoke, boy I tell ya!  Then, I hear him itemizing to her what he has to do with his day, time, week and money.  That's when my whistle blew and I basically said to him (with BM on the phone), "you do NOT owe her a break down of YOUR responsibilities and schedule!  SD16, yes, may need her hair done, but she does NOT need some &^%&^% $400 extensions!  Furthermore, did they discuss this with you, or did they place their usual demands upon you?"

BM goes off on the phone so I politely grabbed it from him.  When I get on the phone, she calms down and suddenly wants to discuss it "like adults."   She goes on to explain to me that SD's hair is damaged and she wants a protective style to wear and hair extensions aren't cheap.  Yadda yadda yadda.  I let her know that I, too, am a girl and totally understand the whole HAIR thing.  DH will never get it, but to TELL him (in lieu of discussing/planning it with him) that he needs to fork over $200 bucks by tomorrow, regardless if we have it or not, is an argument waiting to happen...not to mention UNFAIR. The money is not the issue, their approach, disrespect & attitude is!     

In his line of work, holidays are his busiest times of year, so they have already "spent" his money in their heads.  Oh but that train came to a screeching halt this morning!  

Suddenly, I hear SD16 calling me into her room, so I take the PHONE WITH ME so BM could hear.  She tearfully begins to show me the damage to her hair and how long it USED to be, and how Joel asked her not to cut her hair etc.  I agreed, that YES, she does need her hair repaired but gluing/sewing/fusing extensions in it may not be the best way.  Endure the big chop, and let it grow on its own.  OR, give DH a little more notice and a lot more courtesy when you want something.  I told her "lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on his part."  

BM agreed with me and admitted that she will try to set the appointment after Thanksgiving, so DH can have proper "notice," even though she KNOWS he has the money.  Unquote.  Of course, she was being sarcastic and mad because once again, they couldn't just pull up to the goddamm drive thru window, place their order and pull around and get their food handed to them!   

Ladies, I'm a girly girl, always have been, always will be.  So I know that bad hair days can really bum you out, especially in high school and the last thing I want is for her to feel "inadequate" at this age around her friends etc.  But, I also don't want her placing so much emphasis on her exterior.  If Joel will like you with long flowing hair, but suddenly dislikes you with a cute and sassy bob, then Joel can go to hell.  

I'm not against extensions either, but $400 for a 16y/o who doesn't work, hasn't bothered to try and earn the money, has 2 Cs and whose attitude is that of entitlement is a bit extreme in my opinion.  Why not $200?  I asked BM if she had her half and guess what she said?!  I saved the best for last!  And I quote "not yet, but if he pays for it all upfront, I will reimburse him next Friday."  Fuck outta here and off my phone, lady!

Happy Thanksgiving.  Please try to have a drama-free one. 

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:38 PM
Replies (21-24):
KellyReedy
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Cut it off and start over.  Should have taken better care of it before it got so bad.

Oh and until BM has 1/2....I'd do nothing!

LuvnMyCrew3
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Good for you!!

babyjen314
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:57 AM
Haha. I like u already. I can pay him back Friday. Get the fuck outta here!! Ur right in this situation and I can't wait for the day I grab the phone outta SO hand. They hardly ever call each other but I would've laughed at that one. SD said she needed $50 for cheer leading SO didnt fork over anything cuz MOM never said anything or showed him any papers. She just wanted a $50 bill to be in her pocket when she came back over? Mmm not that easy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
chasinrainbows
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:22 PM
Idk about this one. I mean....how short will her hair have to be if she doesn't get the extentions? I agree about the notice and waiting until they both have the money.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)