Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

medication

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:05 PM
  • 5 Replies
Not about step kids but i think i might need legal help any ideas. My daughter has anxiety disorder which breaks into her school work. She use to be on Zoloft 50mgs she came off because her dr moved ot of state and it took a bit to get her back on it. After being off of it for 3 months she had a huge melt down and i took her to the ER i told them what was going on and they put her back on 50mgi called the school and told them. The caseworker four her IEP said if the meds would rise gradually. I told her I wouldn't know until we see her regular psychic on the 24th. U thought it was kind of a strange question. I'm also getting jkind of mad that when i told her my daughter is no longer on meds she said well that explains a lot. I feel very pressured baby the school not only to medicate my daughter but now also to up her meds. Not really by the whole school but mostly by this caseworker. My question is who do i go to about this issue and is there a chance her meds will go up? She is 9 almost 10.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
LittleMama2012
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:22 AM
Teachers can tell when a child who is usually on medication does not take it. As a person who has anxiety, I know that you can not just quit taking your meds. It has to be a gradual thing. She needs to see a psychiatrist asap so she can get evaluated and put back on her meds. Also when they prescribe these medications, they start with a lower dose and gradual increase. The point being that you take the smallest dose possible to control the disorder. It makes sense as to why the caseworker would ask. This is something they need to know. The school needs to know what is going on. You will need their input to see how well her anxiety is controlled at school because you are not there. It's not really an issue
It seems as though you don't understand how they work and what it takes for a doctor to know how they are working. The doctor needs input from all adults to know how to dose.
OregonMom80
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:01 AM

It isn't just that they start at a low dose, but as kids get older and bigger, they often need a higher dose.  A child I knew was on meds for something else and the mom hadn't taken him in regularly.  Turns out he had a growth spurt and his old dose wasn't enough and he had a major health prob because of it.

I'm not a fan of medicating children, but if she has anxiety bad enough that it impacts her education, she probably does need to be on meds at least until she has behavioral modification therapy.  Some people can quit meds with therapy and some can't.

mamaBerg85
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:14 AM
I am all about them giving me a report on how things are going but there is a differance in ur child is getting better or this is still going on with her and them saying basically that i need to medicate my daughter or up her med levels 2 days after she's started. I mean really how does a school know if the meds will need to be upped if she's only been on them for 2 days.
angelmommy2806
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:19 AM
If you feel like that caseworker is overstepping their boundaries then talk to their supervisor. The supervisor can either talk to that person or get you a new caseworker.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sassy711
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Before discussing anything with any persons that are involved with your daughter schooling, you really need to speak with her MD.  You need to educate yourself about the 1) medication  2) side effects 3) therapeutic dose 4) titration of the meds (the gradual increase in the amount to obtain therapeutic levels 5) counseling for your daughter in conjunction with the medication 6) any adjunct medications (i.e Abilify).  Once you have all this information, THEN discuss it with the caseworker.  Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)