Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Not SM/BM related: pregnancy

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:38 PM
  • 3 Replies
Why do people say 'when she got pregnant' instead of when he got her pregnant? Is it improper to say? Does it sound too TMIish?

How does a woman get pregnant alone? I can understand how a man got a woman pregnant.

Just an observation and would like thoughts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
SassyMom25
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:57 PM
I think he got her pregnant implies purpose on his part when a lot of the time it isn't. Women can get pregnant without men, men however require a woman, kwim.

I think its totally situational though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KnowItAll
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:59 PM

I don't think anyone ever assumes the woman got pregnant alone when the phrase "when she got pregnant" is used.  I don't even think it's men that "get" women pregnant.  The man basically just puts the sperm into the woman's body, but as far as actually "becoming" pregnant...well that's not really something the guy is "doing".  It's more the woman's body that is handling that aspect.  So I think "when she got pregnant" is much much more accurate than "when he got her pregnant".  

momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Very well said.

Quoting KnowItAll:

I don't think anyone ever assumes the woman got pregnant alone when the phrase "when she got pregnant" is used.  I don't even think it's men that "get" women pregnant.  The man basically just puts the sperm into the woman's body, but as far as actually "becoming" pregnant...well that's not really something the guy is "doing".  It's more the woman's body that is handling that aspect.  So I think "when she got pregnant" is much much more accurate than "when he got her pregnant".  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)