Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Should A Stepparent Refer To Their Stepchildren As Their Own?

Posted by   + Show Post

LeAnn Rimes, Brandi Glanville: Should A Stepparent Refer To Their Stepchildren As Their Own?

So much for a social media truce. Late last week, the Twitter feud between LeAnn Rimes and Brandi Glanville was reignited when the country singer took to Twitter to share her weekend plans with her followers.

"Flying out with my boys in a few hrs," Rimes tweeted on Nov. 30, referring to husband Eddie Cibrian’s two sons with Glanville. "Love that it's a family tour weekend. It's always more fun when they are with me."

The tweet didn't go over well with Glanville, whom Cibrian split from in 2009 after having an extramarital affair with Rimes.

"Someone is trying 2 get under my skin by calling MY children "her boys" Sooo transparent! They R MY boys, Eddie Boys and ur step-sons... 4 now," Glanville tweeted on Dec. 1.

The Twitter feud sparked further conversation on HuffPost Divorce's Facebook page, where step-moms and bio-moms alike chimed in with their thoughts on whether step-parents like Rimes should refer to their step-kids as their own.

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Replies (11-20):
orcawhales98
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Here is my thing and I don't understand to some people if you say your sk are not yours then you are a bad sm/sf for not treating the kids like your own but if you say your sk are your kids then you are still a bad sm/sf because you didn't give birth to them.  So it is a no win. 

OkieMommyOf6
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:40 PM

i call my step kids my own. my reason being is because the bm is been part of their lives for maybe 3 years in the past 6 years i have been part of their lives. i have raised the girls more then she has. she doesnt have a problem with that now that she is sober and has realized the damage she has caused the girls. now the bm will call me with any concerns or problems with the girls just simply because i know them better then she does. the girls still give her problems and are kinda sketchy with her knowing that she has been known to up and leave whenever.

Bertieb
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I think she should have just said THE boys. I usually refer to the kids collectively this way or as "our kids". I wouldn't say "my sons" in a situation it could get back to BM or make the kids themselves uncomfortable, since they are older and might think I was overstepping. On the other hand, if we are in a restaurant or something and they refer to one as my son, I don't say anything to clarify.

chasinrainbows
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:50 PM
I call my fiance, his 2 sons, and my son "my boys". The same thing with our daughters. We are "the girls". It's not necessary to say it any differently. That IS LeAnn's family. The BM is just being insecure and stalkerish to be hanging on every word Leann types anyway. LeAnn is famous. We ALL know those are her step-sons.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pepper504
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Honestly, Glanville is trash.  Trash with cash.  I'm not a huge fan of her at all. 

That being said, my ex cheated on me with now exSM.  Did it bother me that she was playing mommy to my then toddler DD?  Hell yeah!  Did I let them know that it bothered me?  Hell no.  It stopped. 

BM tweets about me.  Makes comments to everything that I tweet about.  Do I care?  No and I do not engage her in any way, shape, form.  Eventually, she'll get it and if not, not my problem.

You show someone your weakness and they are going to continue to poke you with a stick to make you become rabid.  Why give them that satisfaction?

sandeeyo
by Le Bonjour Chat on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Leann Rimes is an asshole.  If the kids' mom doesn't like it she should stop saying shit like that out of respect.  Crazy loon.

MommySabs
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:10 PM
Leanne rimes IS an asshole and Brandi Is trash! They are both idiots rimes should have some class about the situation seeing as how she and her dh destroyed two preexisting marriages. Brandi should ignor ignor ignor! She is just fueling the fire by responding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:11 PM

I call our kids, ours or mine. That's referring to SD, DS, and DDs.

I think it's stupid, and hurtful, to say, "My step daughter and my children." That points out to SD that I view her as different than her siblings, and it points out to everyone else that I and THEY, should view SD as different that her siblings. The kids are ours.

In the case of Rimes though, she's got to expects there's going to be some animosity there, her husband cheated on his wife with her.

soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:23 PM
They are not Rimes boys the boys yes my boys no.
whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this

the whole thing is petty.

When I first read  it I thougth she was referring to the whole group (husand + two sons) as "my boys."

who the hell cares, really.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN