Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should A Stepparent Refer To Their Stepchildren As Their Own?

Posted by   + Show Post

LeAnn Rimes, Brandi Glanville: Should A Stepparent Refer To Their Stepchildren As Their Own?

So much for a social media truce. Late last week, the Twitter feud between LeAnn Rimes and Brandi Glanville was reignited when the country singer took to Twitter to share her weekend plans with her followers.

"Flying out with my boys in a few hrs," Rimes tweeted on Nov. 30, referring to husband Eddie Cibrian’s two sons with Glanville. "Love that it's a family tour weekend. It's always more fun when they are with me."

The tweet didn't go over well with Glanville, whom Cibrian split from in 2009 after having an extramarital affair with Rimes.

"Someone is trying 2 get under my skin by calling MY children "her boys" Sooo transparent! They R MY boys, Eddie Boys and ur step-sons... 4 now," Glanville tweeted on Dec. 1.

The Twitter feud sparked further conversation on HuffPost Divorce's Facebook page, where step-moms and bio-moms alike chimed in with their thoughts on whether step-parents like Rimes should refer to their step-kids as their own.

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Replies (21-30):
Amy1973Potts
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:36 PM
Exactly. I will probably always refer to Jeremys children as just that - Jeremys children. Not my stepchildren. Not our kids. Just my fiance's/husbands children.

Quoting Derdriu:

Rimes is a dingbat.  She cheated on her husband with a married man and just can't figure out why people don't approve.  And to answer the question, no.  Or at least if you do, even if only rarely for the sake of convenience, don't for the love of all that is holy do it in front of the BM.

Edited in light of previous response:  An exception would be if there are multiple kids, both BK and SK.  Then an "our" will suffice versus "my" so-and-so and "his" so-and-so.  But if you have no bios, you have no excuse to use a "my" in front of the BM unless you're looking for conflict. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Steamedpuddle30
by Hi, my name is... on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:41 PM
Idk. Hmmm. "My boys" sometimes means a playful my Dh and skids. And it's fun when they are here,I used to have funner when skids were here also. Hmmmm...(they are teens right now and not so much fun. Lol)

Idk. I don't think le Ann meant it that way but I do see why I'd be pissed at Sancha for saying that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
macbudsmom
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I could see how that would sting especially when you and the other mom do not get along.

I think Leann did it purposefully to annoy Brandi & therefore she was in the wrong.

pristine729
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Depends. If the step parent is apart of their everyday lives, I think it's acceptable. After all, parents of adopted children don't have to clarify.
jessiesluv
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:44 PM

I refer to them as my kids.

jessiesluv
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Well, not all the time. Sometimes it's my stepkids.

pristine729
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this
In this situation, I side with Leanne... I think everyone made a big deal about nothing! I hope my son's step mother loves my son like her own!
babie113
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:46 PM

im a stepmom and i dont call my step kids mine .i find that odd .

faerie75
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:27 PM

to be honest i dont know what goes on behind closed doors but glanville looked petty engaging in a media war. maybe she just looked forward to having a fun weekend. does she need to specify on twitter "my STEP kids" ? no.

that said if i were glanville she probably wouldnt be my fave person either.

momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:31 PM
150% agree!

Quoting Derdriu:

Rimes is a dingbat.  She cheated on her husband with a married man and just can't figure out why people don't approve.  And to answer the question, no.  Or at least if you do, even if only rarely for the sake of convenience, don't for the love of all that is holy do it in front of the BM.

Edited in light of previous response:  An exception would be if there are multiple kids, both BK and SK.  Then an "our" will suffice versus "my" so-and-so and "his" so-and-so.  But if you have no bios, you have no excuse to use a "my" in front of the BM unless you're looking for conflict. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured