Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Venting....

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:28 AM
  • 16 Replies

So check this out. My step daughter (5 years old) missed school on Monday due to an ear infection. Tuesday, when SD got to my house, I asked her if she was sick yesterday (with every intention of following this up with "are you feeling better?). Instead, her answer was "uummm....nooo. I wasn't sick." I asked why she missed school and she says "My mom wanted to have a timeout day with me so I didn't go to school." I said "Oh really? What did you do with your mom?" She says "Well, we went to the store, then we went to the mall, buuuut, we didn't get our picture taken with Santa because my mom and Enter boyfriend's name here were fighting."

Ok, so BM kept SD out of school to go to the mall. Lied to her child's father saying she was sick when she wasn't. She's teaching her that she can miss school to do whatever she wants. She is the adult, she should be taking time off from her job to spend time with her daughter on the weekend, not taking her out of school. I just feel like it was such a wrong thing to do.

So then when my SO confronted BM about the situation, her response was "Alicia is lying. She was sick. I had to take her to the doctor for her ears." So not only did she lie to her daughter's father about his own daughter being sick, but now she has called her OWN DAUGHTER a liar. My SO contacted the doctor's office to see if SD was seen Monday and they have no record of her being seen.

I'm furious about this! Yet, my hands are tied and I am not allowed to say/do anything regarding the situation.

Hence the reason I joined this group. I just need to vent.

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amy1973Potts
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh good luck with that one. She sounds stellar.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamakenzi
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Honestly I don't see the harm in skipping a day every now and then. Now if its on a regular basis then yes there is an issue. I don't agree with the lying on her part.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommySabs
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:53 AM
Ha my dss bm will keep dss (12, 7th grade) home once a week on her weeks. She did it yesterday. I told dh he should consider having a serious discussion about absenteeism with his child who now thinks its no big deal to miss school. I hope bm is aware of the schools 7 absences policy, more than 7 without proof of a long term illness - you fail.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vmoranc
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:36 AM
I dont know about other statea but here in Iowa, after so many absences, one of the parents goes to jail.... its a pretty big deal. As far as we know, urs the first time BM has done this and SO made sure to call her out on all the bs so hopefully she wont do out again. Ya she is a super stellar person :)
whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Maybe her mom took her to a different doctor?

kristinbugg
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:39 PM
Eh....I keep my oldest daughter out of school every once in a while to have a "girl's day".

I don't understand why YOU are angry. You're not this child's parent and this doesn't affect you in the slightest. Let the child's father handle it if he has a problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chibi_Kitten
by Krystal on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:48 PM

While I personally wouldn't take my kids out of school just because, I also see no harm in it if it's a once in a blue moon type deal. I would NOT be okay with the lying though, at all.

That said, our school has a policy that after X number of absences without a doctor's note, you are reported to the truancy officer. I don't know what happens from there but I assume it's not good.

happinessforyou
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Let it go............ don't put the child in the middle.

People take their kids out of school for all kinds of reasons, so I guess if the mother wants to spend the day with her DD she should just have said that was the reason. Lying only makes it worse.

Frankly, I'd be pissed that mom took her out of school, not to spend the day with her, but to parade around with her and her BF like they were all one big happy family! Sheesh... DUMB!!

vmoranc
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Got to love the reply saying it doesn't affect me in the slightest. Well I'm sorry but I do care about my SD's well being. Like I said, I can't begin to explain what she has already been through in her life. This is just another thing to add to the list.

I can DEFINITELY understand the different views on taking your child out of school once in awhile to spend time. I will never do that to my kids, but I get why some parents would. It was the lying, being caught lying and continuing to lie even. The trying to make it out like her own daughter lie was what sent me over the edge.

I joined this website to be able to vent. Not to have people say to me "I don't know why you even let it bother you." I don't have a choice, it bothers me. I can't do anything about the fact that it bothers me. That's why I was VENTING!!!!

Charli627
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:16 PM
My kids dont miss school unless they are sick. The lying would make me mad.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)