Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

How much is too much to spend at Christmas?

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:47 AM
  • 32 Replies

I have 3 teens, one is my bio-son (19) and the other two are my step daughters (17 and 14) My question is how much (relatively speaking) do people spend on each kid at Christmas. I'm dealing with my DH's ex who wants to be the girls best friend and has already spent around $600 on each child and is still shopping.  My son was raised a bit more realistic, and only wants what he needs, some new boots and a gift card for some new clothes. Is that sad or admirable? All of us have been together for 7 years and I'm just trying to get an idea if I'm being too logical and rigid on this. These kids have lost the whole concept of money and I'm walking a fine line.  What are some of your thoughts?

mjc10

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:51 AM
Its only to much if you cant afford it. Me ive spent about 800 on each but I can afford to do so. Personally I would be sad if my kid only asked for what he needed. There is much more exciting than to see the light in someone I loves eyes when they open something and they know I took the time something that they will LOVE even if its something the dont need, but thats just me.
kristinbugg
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM
This question is very relative. You spend what you can afford, as the previous poster said. We've spent about $900 on each child (two girls) so far and i'm still shopping. But we can afford to spend the money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LittleMama2012
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:18 AM
We spend between 200 and 300 on each kid. Plus they got a trampoline which is for all of them. This is planned in advance. Mine and dh's are still little so stuff they want doesn't cost as much as when they are teenagers. Spend what you can afford. If you rack up a bunch of debt buying Christmas than you are spendung too much.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
angelmommy2806
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this
We spend what we can afford. Some years it's more than others.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomGoingCrazy78
by Lindy Lou on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:42 AM

This year our kids asked for specific things, that's what they got. So far it hasn't been near what we usually spend on them, but there are still more shopping days left!

Kathleenplus1
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

We are trying to get out of debt so going into more debt over xmas seemed pointless. Also ours is an only child so he gets showered with gifts from all different sides of family and friends so even if we only got him socks for xmas he would bank over a 1,000+ in gifts alone from every one. So we opted to get him about $150 in gifts and fun stocking stuffer. We want him to grow up knowing the value of things and have noticed that nothing is good enough so we have cut back dramatically on the lvl of spoiling....thats just us though. Just think if you invested $600 a yr on ea kid for their college fund lol... Oh and mine is 8

MommySabs
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:07 AM
We saved what we could afford all year and divided by 4 and spent that portion on each. That's how we do it each year. A rough year may be $200 a good year $400 - 500. We will start saving again in January. Going into debt for Christmas is crazy do what you can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Derdriu
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:21 AM

We don't have a magic number for each kid.  There's more spent on SD13 because clothing and whatnot that she wants costs more than the toys and games that SS wants.  SS usually ends up with more gifts because it's easier and less expensive to shop for him.  I finished shopping for him in October and probably spent around $250 total, maybe not even quite that much.  I'm probably around the $400-500 range on SD.  DH is the expensive one, lol. 

I don't think it's reasonable to define "too much" in numerical form.  If you can afford to spend X amount, then knock yourself out.  I think it's foolish when people go into debt over Christmas.  My dad grew up in a family with so little that they often got nothing for Christmas other than eating a bit better for the day.  However, he has very fond memories of Christmas because of the family time.  My parents could always afford better than what we kids actually got, but we did learn that money didn't grow on trees and to be appreciative.  I think some people, in their effort to shelter their kids from financial limitations and make their day exciting, end up creating spoiled kids who don't appreciate what they received and don't have any concept of the work that went into providing those things.  Being spoiled has nothing do with the amount spent; it has everything to with appreciation. 

Panda113
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Same here. On the last leg of Dave Ramsey. We spent about $150 though we could've spent a lot more. I love giving at Christmas but this kid has my mom, her grandparents, her mom, DH and me, her aunts/uncles/cousins. She got three garbage bags full of toys last year. She is set.

Quoting Kathleenplus1:

We are trying to get out of debt so going into more debt over xmas seemed pointless. Also ours is an only child so he gets showered with gifts from all different sides of family and friends so even if we only got him socks for xmas he would bank over a 1,000+ in gifts alone from every one. So we opted to get him about $150 in gifts and fun stocking stuffer. We want him to grow up knowing the value of things and have noticed that nothing is good enough so we have cut back dramatically on the lvl of spoiling....thats just us though. Just think if you invested $600 a yr on ea kid for their college fund lol... Oh and mine is 8

AustinsMama1226
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:41 AM
This exactly!

Quoting angelmommy2806:

We spend what we can afford. Some years it's more than others.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)