Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much is too much to spend at Christmas?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have 3 teens, one is my bio-son (19) and the other two are my step daughters (17 and 14) My question is how much (relatively speaking) do people spend on each kid at Christmas. I'm dealing with my DH's ex who wants to be the girls best friend and has already spent around $600 on each child and is still shopping.  My son was raised a bit more realistic, and only wants what he needs, some new boots and a gift card for some new clothes. Is that sad or admirable? All of us have been together for 7 years and I'm just trying to get an idea if I'm being too logical and rigid on this. These kids have lost the whole concept of money and I'm walking a fine line.  What are some of your thoughts?

mjc10

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:47 AM
Replies (11-20):
Kathleenplus1
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Us too! Dave Ramsey is awsome

Quoting Panda113:

Same here. On the last leg of Dave Ramsey. We spent about $150 though we could've spent a lot more. I love giving at Christmas but this kid has my mom, her grandparents, her mom, DH and me, her aunts/uncles/cousins. She got three garbage bags full of toys last year. She is set.

Quoting Kathleenplus1:

We are trying to get out of debt so going into more debt over xmas seemed pointless. Also ours is an only child so he gets showered with gifts from all different sides of family and friends so even if we only got him socks for xmas he would bank over a 1,000+ in gifts alone from every one. So we opted to get him about $150 in gifts and fun stocking stuffer. We want him to grow up knowing the value of things and have noticed that nothing is good enough so we have cut back dramatically on the lvl of spoiling....thats just us though. Just think if you invested $600 a yr on ea kid for their college fund lol... Oh and mine is 8

illinoismommy83
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Christmas isn't about gifts. Give what is reasonable to you. I think $100 per kid is fine. If Christmas was less materialistic I think everyone would be happier. 

I started enjoying Christmas a lot more as an adult. I paid attention to the celebration and enjoyed my family, where as, as a child, I was just wiggling in my seat waiting for presents. Once you remove the presents as the focus the holiday improves.

saywhat2102
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:57 AM
I think we are around $400 or $500. The money isn't the issue space is! That kid has got too much stuff already lol :-P
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Love him by going by him we are 100 percent debt free and will be paying cash for our home when DH retires from the military in 8 years

Quoting Kathleenplus1:

Quoting Panda113:

Same here. On the last leg of Dave Ramsey. We spent about $150 though we could've spent a lot more. I love giving at Christmas but this kid has my mom, her grandparents, her mom, DH and me, her aunts/uncles/cousins. She got three garbage bags full of toys last year. She is set.

Quoting Kathleenplus1:

We are trying to get out of debt so going into more debt over xmas seemed pointless. Also ours is an only child so he gets showered with gifts from all different sides of family and friends so even if we only got him socks for xmas he would bank over a 1,000+ in gifts alone from every one. So we opted to get him about $150 in gifts and fun stocking stuffer. We want him to grow up knowing the value of things and have noticed that nothing is good enough so we have cut back dramatically on the lvl of spoiling....thats just us though. Just think if you invested $600 a yr on ea kid for their college fund lol... Oh and mine is 8

Kathleenplus1
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM

That's encouraging! We just started out with it

Quoting soonergirl980:

Love him by going by him we are 100 percent debt free and will be paying cash for our home when DH retires from the military in 8 years

Quoting Kathleenplus1:

Quoting Panda113:

Quoting Kathleenplus1:

Chibi_Kitten
by Krystal on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:03 AM

If you can't afford it, it's too much.

In my house, my husband and I set aside a little bit here and there throughout the year and save up the recycling money as well. When Christmas comes up, we take the entire amount and divide it up between the four kids. Whatever we can get within that budget for the kids, we get.

Troubleswife
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:12 AM
This! I'd like to add that I use Christmas and Birthdays as times to splurge on things they don't need. I don't buy stuff for my kids year round except what they need. Christmas and Birthdays are for wants and needs. :)

Quoting angelmommy2806:

We spend what we can afford. Some years it's more than others.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjc10
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Thank you for all of your thoughts.  It IS a very relative question and we don't want to go into debt for Christmas.  I Love to watch my kids get excited about opening their gifts especially when they're getting something they've been hinting for.  I'm happy for all, whatever your situation, whether you spend $1000 or $100 or $25 as long as the children are appreciative and respectful and understand that some kids don't have anything or anyone.  I raised my son by myself for 12 years with very little but a lot of love and I'm happy he knows the difference between need and want.  He has certainly had gifts over the years that have made him shine brighter than the Christmas star but I'm also happy that he's content with getting things he needs.  Happy Holidays

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Our kids are 12 (SD), almost 10 (DS), almost 6 and 4 1/2 DDs. We spend about $500 total all on 4 kids. We've never had any complaints, everyone gets the things they want.

zannahdeux
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:04 PM

I think this is a boy girl thing too...girls want/need more. We have bras, pads/tampons and makeup, multiple pairs of shoes, dresses and skirts and boys don't.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured