Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

how do you do Christmas mornings?

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 8:46 PM
  • 17 Replies
I have a ss7, dd 14 months and one one the way. Dh has ss7 every Christmas eve, bm has him Christmas day and they rotate Christmas morning every year.

I'm wondering how other moms out there handle Christmas morning w/ their own children if skids aren't there. Do you make your kids wait until skids come over to open their Santa gifts? Even if it is several days later? (This is what dh would like us to do). Or do you let your kids open Santa gifts regardless of skids?

I'm kinda torn. I want us to all share that experience as a family, however; if ss isn't here I don't think its fair to our other 2 kids to have to wait for days on end. Idk, I go back and forth about it.

Any suggestions/advice?

***I should add that I'm probably jumpin the gun a bit seeing as how dd is still very young and I'm still pregnant w/ baby #2 but I'm just thinkin ahead...;-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 8:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SassyMom25
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids open presents on Christmas morning whether SS10 is here or not. He doesn't really care what they get.
Ktina11
by Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 8:57 PM
Sorry. Dh never gets sd on Christmas...only Christmas Eve. I can see how that would be difficult.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy4000
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:00 PM

My step daughter is 17 and we didn't have her much when she was younger. We never had her on Christmas when she was very young so this was never something we had to work out. Now, she just comes over whenever she feels like it, either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. I don't make my kids wait, we open first thing Christmas morning.

LittleMama2012
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:10 PM
SD is here every other Christmas morning. We have Christmas on Christmas morning regardless of whether she is here or not. She is having Christmas morning at her mom's. I don't see making my kids miss out when SD gets way more celebrations than they do.
2bkayleesmommy
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:12 PM
Okay myv ex has my dd on x-mas eve cause he opens gifts @ midnight and bring dd over in the am. My SO works so we open when he gets home and do xmas dinner w/ dd and sd there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dallas4nu
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:15 PM
That's kinda how I feel. And the more I think about it, the more I'm thinkin ss should only get a 'Santa' gift in the house he stays in for Christmas Eve. Though dh will never EVER agree to that but...its a thought.

Quoting LittleMama2012:

SD is here every other Christmas morning. We have Christmas on Christmas morning regardless of whether she is here or not. She is having Christmas morning at her mom's. I don't see making my kids miss out when SD gets way more celebrations than they do.

lnr187
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:18 PM

i do not think your children should have to wait, especially is it's multiple days. however, being that your daughter is so young, maybe she can open a few on christmas morning and then a few with ss. in the future, as your daughter and baby #2 are older, i do not think they need to wait at all. by then your ss will understand more anyways.
we have my ss christmas eve overnight. so we will have him every year christmas morning to open presents and then usually he goes to his moms late morning. because he has to leave his presents shortly after opening them, we let him open some on christmas eve morning. that's another option for your situation.

rebeccasmly
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:21 PM

That would be very hard. Maybe have your kids open their Santa gifts Christmas morning and then have a couple gifts from you and dad for them to iopen when SS is there.

We have never had to worry about this. When BM returned and they were discussing holidays in front of the judge, BM flat out said she would ruin SAnta for the kids. The judge ruled for us to have them Christmas Eve to Christams night. BM is suppose to have them before Christmas Eve and then Christmas night for 24 hours but never picks them up Christmas evening.

raerae725
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:39 PM

SD gets here at 10 every other Christmas.  We just wait until she gets here.  When DS is with his dad it is until New Years and we don't wait for him.  We just let him open his stuff when he gets home.

Refurbished
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:39 PM

We always do Christmas on a different day.  This year it's going to be the 23rd.  We will just wake up that morning and it will be Christmas.  We've done it for years, and nobody has ever minded or felt short-changed because of it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)