Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central
So, my dh picked ss up from bm the other night, after he was asleep. He walked in and got him and realized he had a pacifier in his mouth. He doesn't use one at our house. He doesn't ask for one, or need one. We didn't even know he used one there. I looked some things up on the subject and noticed a lot about psychological problems being linked. Does anyone else find this odd? I'm the type of mom, aunt, etc that never gave them, so I was just wondering about other moms opinions.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:21 PM
Replies (11-20):
rose0919
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:59 PM

my dd12 got rid of hers at 2 . what we did  was got a balloon(she loves balloons) and tied it to the pacifier and sent it to the babies in heaven.  at 9 there is an issue. if he doesnt need it at your home why would he need it at bms? that is very odd

Eyelashes23
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this
No that's not normal n yes the father should be concerned
DDDaysh
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:07 PM
It is very unusual, but there could be a reason. Did Dad ask about it?

Honestly, while it is odd, I can't see what it would hurt. I don't think it is related to braces, it's thumb sucking that does that, pacifiers generally do not. So... In the end, who cares?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambie25
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:08 PM
No, they don't communicate very well. Every time he asks about the kids, she tells him its not his business. He just leaves it be so there's no drama.

Quoting whatIknownow:

how is it that Dad didn't know this? Does he not communicate with mom?

I think it's unusual but I would try to look past it. If he doesn't  use one at your house, it's probably not a big deal.

ambie25
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:10 PM
That's such a cute idea.

Quoting rose0919:

my dd12 got rid of hers at 2 . what we did  was got a balloon(she loves balloons) and tied it to the pacifier and sent it to the babies in heaven.  at 9 there is an issue. if he doesnt need it at your home why would he need it at bms? that is very odd

ambie25
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:12 PM
Dh didn't ask him about it because he didn't want to embarass him

Quoting DDDaysh:

It is very unusual, but there could be a reason. Did Dad ask about it?

Honestly, while it is odd, I can't see what it would hurt. I don't think it is related to braces, it's thumb sucking that does that, pacifiers generally do not. So... In the end, who cares?

Derdriu
by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe she has an emotional need for him to stay infantile? I mean, yeah it's weird. But I'd be wondering why he has it.

BM continued to put SS to bed with a sippy cup until he was 7. This was in spite of him having had several teeth pulled and others crowned as a result bottle mouth. She refused to accept the connection or be told what she should or shouldn't give her baby, and he was (still is) perfectly happy to behave like a toddler in her presence. It's freakin' weird, to be honest, but it makes her *feel* like a mommy. Perhaps there's something similar taking place in your circumstance?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambie25
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:20 PM
That, I believe. He's totally different when he's with us, than when he's there. When dh talks to him on the phone, he acts like a baby sometimes.

Quoting Derdriu:

Maybe she has an emotional need for him to stay infantile? I mean, yeah it's weird. But I'd be wondering why he has it.

BM continued to put SS to bed with a sippy cup until he was 7. This was in spite of him having had several teeth pulled and others crowned as a result bottle mouth. She refused to accept the connection or be told what she should or shouldn't give her baby, and he was (still is) perfectly happy to behave like a toddler in her presence. It's freakin' weird, to be honest, but it makes her *feel* like a mommy. Perhaps there's something similar taking place in your circumstance?

Troubleswife
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:25 PM

I am not going to read the replies. I find it, as an experienced mom, in raising 4 kids....that worrying about some of these things is silly.

I can recall being totally freaked out that my oldest daughter wasn't potty trained by age 3 because "everyone" thought she should. I talked to the doctor who told me to relax. LOL  She was strangely going potty in public areas (malls, restaurants, etc.) but refusing to go at home. He told me to stop over-reacting and she'd do it when she was ready as this was 1 area she could control. I let it go and ignored it and she was potty trained in 2 weeks. LOL

It doesn't help that I sucked my thumb and used a blanket as well as tickled myself until I was 12. I am not pyschologically damaged. This is how I calmed myself. It's funny it's a pacifier but I guess that's what happened when people created these things instead of allowing kids to use their thumbs. LOL

He will out grow it.

Troubleswife
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Quoting DDDaysh:

I don't think it is related to braces, it's thumb sucking that does that, pacifiers generally do not. So... In the end, who cares?

I sucked my thumb until I was 12. My teeth were bucked out during my preteen years (I see a lot of kids with this as well) then when I stopped they shifted back. I have nearly perfect teeth and never needed braces. I wonder if this is an old wives tale.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)