Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So, my dh picked ss up from bm the other night, after he was asleep. He walked in and got him and realized he had a pacifier in his mouth. He doesn't use one at our house. He doesn't ask for one, or need one. We didn't even know he used one there. I looked some things up on the subject and noticed a lot about psychological problems being linked. Does anyone else find this odd? I'm the type of mom, aunt, etc that never gave them, so I was just wondering about other moms opinions.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:21 PM
Replies (21-30):
DDDaysh
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:30 PM
Possibly, but it could be totally unrelated.

Did you know that they make chew toys for school aged children? The are recommended as a concentration aid for ADHD children among other things. My stomache wants to come up at the very thought if attaching a rubber tube to my son's belt that he can chew on, I mean I see the state of his clothes at the end of the day, he doesn't need to be putting anything like that in his mouth! However, it was a fully serious suggestion his therapist made.

So while a pacifier does seem odd, unless dad has asked, I don't think it's safe to assume that there is an infantile reason behind it.

Quoting Derdriu:

Maybe she has an emotional need for him to stay infantile? I mean, yeah it's weird. But I'd be wondering why he has it.

BM continued to put SS to bed with a sippy cup until he was 7. This was in spite of him having had several teeth pulled and others crowned as a result bottle mouth. She refused to accept the connection or be told what she should or shouldn't give her baby, and he was (still is) perfectly happy to behave like a toddler in her presence. It's freakin' weird, to be honest, but it makes her *feel* like a mommy. Perhaps there's something similar taking place in your circumstance?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
packermomof2
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter still carries around a blanket that was made for her at her birth.  She recently asked a grandma to fix it because it was falling apart and she kept as much of it as possible, but made it bigger and quilted it... my daughter carries it around still (the house).  Some things are not going to harm a kid even though it seems odd or infantile to others.

Charli627
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:39 PM
My bio kids didnt either.

Quoting Tigress22304:

My skids never used a paci-and I refused my DD to use one-at 9-there's something wrong there....

Troubleswife
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Quoting packermomof2:

My daughter still carries around a blanket that was made for her at her birth.  She recently asked a grandma to fix it because it was falling apart and she kept as much of it as possible, but made it bigger and quilted it... my daughter carries it around still (the house).  Some things are not going to harm a kid even though it seems odd or infantile to others.

This was me too! I loved my blanket. I actually think we found it recently at moms. LOL

MrsMama030912
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this
9 years old ????!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Did you ask the child if they used it every night?

SammyJK
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:18 AM
Yup thats odd for sure! Although its quite possible that my ds4 may be still sucking his thumb by that time, but i really cant take that away.

Quoting ambie25:

So, my dh picked ss up from bm the other night, after he was asleep. He walked in and got him and realized he had a pacifier in his mouth. He doesn't use one at our house. He doesn't ask for one, or need one. We didn't even know he used one there. I looked some things up on the subject and noticed a lot about psychological problems being linked. Does anyone else find this odd? I'm the type of mom, aunt, etc that never gave them, so I was just wondering about other moms opinions.
SammyJK
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:20 AM
Im picturin dog chew toys lol

Quoting DDDaysh:

Possibly, but it could be totally unrelated.

Did you know that they make chew toys for school aged children? The are recommended as a concentration aid for ADHD children among other things. My stomache wants to come up at the very thought if attaching a rubber tube to my son's belt that he can chew on, I mean I see the state of his clothes at the end of the day, he doesn't need to be putting anything like that in his mouth! However, it was a fully serious suggestion his therapist made.

So while a pacifier does seem odd, unless dad has asked, I don't think it's safe to assume that there is an infantile reason behind it.

Quoting Derdriu:

Maybe she has an emotional need for him to stay infantile? I mean, yeah it's weird. But I'd be wondering why he has it.

BM continued to put SS to bed with a sippy cup until he was 7. This was in spite of him having had several teeth pulled and others crowned as a result bottle mouth. She refused to accept the connection or be told what she should or shouldn't give her baby, and he was (still is) perfectly happy to behave like a toddler in her presence. It's freakin' weird, to be honest, but it makes her *feel* like a mommy. Perhaps there's something similar taking place in your circumstance?
rebeccasmly
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:21 AM
9 is too old for a pacifier in my opinion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sandeeyo
by Le Bonjour Chat on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:05 AM

SD#2 sucked her thumb until around age 9...not sure if she still does it, but I haven't noticed her doing it anymore.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured