Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Pacifier at 9?

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:21 PM
  • 41 Replies
So, my dh picked ss up from bm the other night, after he was asleep. He walked in and got him and realized he had a pacifier in his mouth. He doesn't use one at our house. He doesn't ask for one, or need one. We didn't even know he used one there. I looked some things up on the subject and noticed a lot about psychological problems being linked. Does anyone else find this odd? I'm the type of mom, aunt, etc that never gave them, so I was just wondering about other moms opinions.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angirose
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Unexceptable!! I think by age 1 a toddler shouldn't be using a pacifier. Some take longer. But 9..... Now way!! I hope bm is planning on paying for a lot of dentist appointments because he's going to have many many visits if he continues using it....
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:11 PM
Yikes. Now my Ds was 3 - took it away on his 3rd bday and I did feel that was a little late but until you are that parent that has a kid that 'needs' it ( in their mind) It is hard to break. But 9. Wow
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambie25
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:17 PM
Well, both of his daughters needed braces. Now I know why. She don't care, she doesn't pay insurance or anything left over. But I hate that he will have to have them over something so able to of been helped.

Quoting angirose:

Unexceptable!! I think by age 1 a toddler shouldn't be using a pacifier. Some take longer. But 9..... Now way!! I hope bm is planning on paying for a lot of dentist appointments because he's going to have many many visits if he continues using it....

Tigress22304
by Ruby Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:18 PM

My skids never used a paci-and I refused my DD to use one-at 9-there's something wrong there....

LittleMama2012
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:18 PM
Omg! At 9?! No!
ambie25
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:21 PM
Mine never had one, but I understand that some kids need them. And yes, I can imagine having to take it away, how hard it would be. But at 9, they're old enough to just say no without a problem. And he never showed any signs of wanting or needing it here. So, its not like its a must have. He doesn't even suck his thumb here. And last summer, we had him for a month all at once. So I'm just completely confused.

Quoting momof2ex1:

Yikes. Now my Ds was 3 - took it away on his 3rd bday and I did feel that was a little late but until you are that parent that has a kid that 'needs' it ( in their mind) It is hard to break. But 9. Wow

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:39 PM

how is it that Dad didn't know this? Does he not communicate with mom?

I think it's unusual but I would try to look past it. If he doesn't  use one at your house, it's probably not a big deal.

Quinn525
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:42 PM
I think it's wrong but I was a thumb sucker until I was that age. I guess I am one to talk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Exactly. At 3 I told my son, paci is going bye bye big boys don't need a paci and he was done. My older dd never used one at all. But Ds had some sucky problems so they started him on one and then he got attached lol or should I say 'mom got attached' lol at 3 they can understand it needs to go bye bye and by 9.. Now that is just ridiculous.

Quoting ambie25:

Mine never had one, but I understand that some kids need them. And yes, I can imagine having to take it away, how hard it would be. But at 9, they're old enough to just say no without a problem. And he never showed any signs of wanting or needing it here. So, its not like its a must have. He doesn't even suck his thumb here. And last summer, we had him for a month all at once. So I'm just completely confused.

Quoting momof2ex1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Quoting Quinn525:

I think it's wrong but I was a thumb sucker until I was that age. I guess I am one to talk.

My SD13 sucks her thumb at night when no one's looking (when she thinks no one's looking).

I turn a blind eye to it. What is the point of worrying about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)