Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Were you an SK, and did you have an SM?

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:51 AM
  • 70 Replies

I'm curious to know how many of you ladies here were step-kids, particularly those who had a step mom.

What was your relationship like?  Do you wish things had been different in your relationship with her?  How did she treat you?

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kristinbugg
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:55 AM
I had a stepmother. She was the epitome of evil....physically, mentally and emotionally abusive. Of course, she was only abusive when my father wasn't there. Dad traveled frequently, so it was fairly easy for SM to keep her abusive behavior secret.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
divinehammer
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Quoting kristinbugg:

I had a stepmother. She was the epitome of evil....physically, mentally and emotionally abusive. Of course, she was only abusive when my father wasn't there. Dad traveled frequently, so it was fairly easy for SM to keep her abusive behavior secret.

What ended up happening with her?  Did they stay together, or did dad realize what was happening?

Lorena
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:01 AM
I had 2 step-moms The first was the epitome of evil. She was lazy and controlling she kicked me out when I was 12 because I had a cold and she didn't want to get it. My second step-mom was great my kids loved her so did I until I found out she was stalling money from my kids.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommyof3toddler
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:02 AM
I also had a step mom I was majorly jealous of her seeing as I was a daddies girl. Since I moved out we get along great we just don't get to talk frequently since my dads passing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
weaveress
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:07 AM

yes, no SM though daddy refused to marry my mother and only briefly dated after.

two SFs, I think my mother warped both of them from nice guys into complete assholes.  

weaveress
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:08 AM

This makes me sad for you. My actual mother was like this. I never had a SM. 

Quoting kristinbugg:

Kasi Lynn, Calvin David, & Lilith Jade's Mommy
The Work will wait while you show the child the RAINBOW, but the rainbow won't wait while you do your work.

Chibi_Kitten
by Krystal on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I was a stepkid but I never met my stepmom as my biodad hasn't been in my life since I was around 10yo.

divinehammer
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Wow did anyone have a good experience?  I'm so terrified of messing up SD for life, I want her to look back and think of our relationship as positive and nurturing.

But I'm so curious as to what the SKs feel about us.  I know how I feel, and that I try to do the right thing, but I wonder what she thinks?  She's only 5, so she can't really express it...

kat_tastorphy
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:19 AM

My step mom was amazing until she had kids with my father. Then I never saw my dad because they would fight over it. I did not get a new relationship with my dad or my SM until I was about 18 then we were all close again. I guess I am not a threat to her kids no more... I wish it would have been different so I could have seen my dad more than once a year.

soonergirl980
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:19 AM

My parents are still married 32 years. I used to PRAY they would divorce and my dad would take me with him my mom is untreated mentally ill and was extremely abusive growing up still is I just grew up and realized she didn't have that power over me. I love her but I can't be around her for long periods of time.

DH's parents divorced when he was 5 dad married his SM when he was like 6 or 7. They were custodial. His mom married his SD when he was like 6 and they divorced when DH was 21. He is supposedly gaining a "new sd" but we've never met him and have no desire to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)