Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

OT-I want to move...tell me about your state...

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:14 PM
  • 43 Replies
1 mom liked this

I love my state.  But I want to move far away from my family, lol.  DH and I have considered a couple places, but we know nothing about anywhere except New England.  So tell me the good and the bad about your state/area in the state.  The weather, the economy, job market, average income, average housing costs...all that good stuff.  Also, tell me if they are a crazy pro BM state, or if they are more 'in the best interest of the kids' kind of state.

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kappalopokis
by Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:18 PM
I live in TN.

I don't like it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EricaG87
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Michigan. weather sucks. economomy sucks. job market sucks. average income, idk but I'm sure it sucks. Average housing costs are good. This state or at least this county, is quite pro BM.  BM can get primary physical custody pretty much no matter what, even if the dad is an extremely involved and loving parent. I know because when I got divorced my husband was a great father, he was involved, loving, had always provided for our household, never strayed from the marriage.  When I filed for divorce I was advised to seek primary physical custody and that if I did I would be guaranteed I would be awarded it. I was advised to not offer 50/50 parenting time to him and to just do an EOWE schedule for him because that's what the judges like to do here.  I basically told them to go screw themselves. They didn't know me or my family. My ex husband is a GREAT father and I would be damned if anybody could convince me to take my children away from him 300 days a year.  I thought that was bullshit and I told them so. I was told that even if we both agreed to 50/50 parenting and joint custody that the judge may overrule our decision and give me sole physical custody anyway! What a bunch of crap. luckily we were able to convince the judge that 50/50 was the rght move for our family.

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I <3 SW Washington state. Our state is pretty good about best interest of the child. Weather isn't so hot, lots of rain. Right now it's actually starting to snow a bit, but that rarely happens. I'm an 2 hour drive from Mt Hood with ski resorts in the winter and awesome summer activities. I'm a 2 hour drive from the beach. A 20-30 minute drive from the Oregon zoo and a LOT of cool activities and places for kids. We have amazing children's hospitals. The job market is OK in my direct area, but in a 1 hour radius the job market is pretty great, espeically if you are skilled. Housing rates: the average 3 bedroom 2 bath ranges from $120K up to $300K depending on the area of town. The school district on the east side of town is amazing.

Mommy0505
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:24 PM
Wisconsin. Its great! Everything is snow covered and beautiful at the moment :) and the summer is beautiful too with lots of trees and nature...

Great schools and lots of choices for different types of towns. Big/small/diverse... The only other place I would consider moving is CO. It would have to be near the mountains, though.

And cost of living depends on where in the state you decide. My hometown of Fond du Lac is very reasonable and a perfect medium size. Also within driving distance to all major cities!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sept-babies2
by Patriot's Fan on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:34 PM
i live in new hampshire..i love it here.
Sept-babies2
by Patriot's Fan on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:34 PM
i live in new hampshire..i love it here.
tapies2324
by Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:38 PM
I live in Knoxville TN. I love it here, got the Smokey Mountains half hour away! Our winters are pretty mild in knox. Cost of living is lower than norm. No state income tax. All four seasons. Settled here for life. Btw, im only in love with east tn, mid and west aren't nearly as pretty.
Derdriu
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Texas.  The weather is HOT 8-9 months of the year, but the mild winters make up for it.  Ecomony and job market are quite good, and cost of living is low.  There's no state income tax.  I have no idea what the average income is.  Housing costs vary by location.  Family courts adhere to "best interest of the kids", though they still lean pro-BM just like everywhere else.  Commutes are generally long as everything is spread out.  Other pros and cons are relative.  It's an unapologetically conversative state politically with right-to-work policies.  Some school districts employ a guardian plan (i.e., unspecified staff are armed).  If you are anti-gun like my former neighbor from NY or a pro-union liberal like my good friend's stepdad from PA, then there's nothing right about the state.  Otherwise, you might like it.

jcampbell288
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Oklahoma... I love it here. We have a "depends on the judge" kind of situation here. ive heard of one judge in perticular that favors BM, but Dh got custody on the first go.. i think they tend to go with who filed first.

Economy isnt to bad, tons of jobs.. depending on what you do and low crime rate.

needsupport100
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:50 PM

oklahoma-the winters are cold, summers are HOT. been here all my life, so i don't have a lot to say-they are becoming a "you chose to parent with this person so grow up and deal with it" kind of state lol

economy isn't too bad but it's hard if you don't already have a career, or are not certified in anything-i got lucky before the economy crashed.

housing is CHEAP compared to what i see. i'm in a 3b2b trailer and pay 565 pm. some people make it working part time at local department stores

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN