Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

OT-I want to move...tell me about your state...

Posted by   + Show Post

I love my state.  But I want to move far away from my family, lol.  DH and I have considered a couple places, but we know nothing about anywhere except New England.  So tell me the good and the bad about your state/area in the state.  The weather, the economy, job market, average income, average housing costs...all that good stuff.  Also, tell me if they are a crazy pro BM state, or if they are more 'in the best interest of the kids' kind of state.

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:14 PM
Replies (11-20):
TJandKarasMom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I already live in NH, your advice is no good to me! lol, just kidding. I really love it here.  I just don't want to be so close to my family anymore and I was looking for a change.  I'm not sure we would really do it though, I just want to see if there are any options for us.

Quoting Sept-babies2:

i live in new hampshire..i love it here.

TJandKarasMom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I always try to get DH to go to Texas, lol.  We live in NH and I think Texas is the next best thing.  We are fairly conservative and have no issues with guns, we like the constitution lol. 

DH already has full physical and legal custody of SD.  BM has had no contact with her in 8 months but does pay CS regularly.  We just wonder if he could lose it if he moved.  In some states I think they would give custody to BM if she asked...here in NH she would have to work for it.  We just would want a state where she would have to work for it, not where they would say she's mom so she gets SD after years of not seeing her, you know?

We like things to be spread out...we like a smaller town (we live in one with about 17,000 people..but we are right next to a city).  I would rather be further away from the city.

Quoting Derdriu:

Texas.  The weather is HOT 8-9 months of the year, but the mild winters make up for it.  Ecomony and job market are quite good, and cost of living is low.  There's no state income tax.  I have no idea what the average income is.  Housing costs vary by location.  Family courts adhere to "best interest of the kids", though they still lean pro-BM just like everywhere else.  Commutes are generally long as everything is spread out.  Other pros and cons are relative.  It's an unapologetically conversative state politically with right-to-work policies.  Some school districts employ a guardian plan (i.e., unspecified staff are armed).  If you are anti-gun like my former neighbor from NY or a pro-union liberal like my good friend's stepdad from PA, then there's nothing right about the state.  Otherwise, you might like it.

Lorena
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:29 PM
I live in WI too! The only reason I hate it here is because I hate the snow otherwise it is awesome. The area I live in is really good for housing.

Quoting Mommy0505:

Wisconsin. Its great! Everything is snow covered and beautiful at the moment :) and the summer is beautiful too with lots of trees and nature...

Great schools and lots of choices for different types of towns. Big/small/diverse... The only other place I would consider moving is CO. It would have to be near the mountains, though.

And cost of living depends on where in the state you decide. My hometown of Fond du Lac is very reasonable and a perfect medium size. Also within driving distance to all major cities!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:31 PM
Texas. I'm happy here although the summers get hot. Slowly Texas is becoming a father'd rights state but currently I feel they are a custodial parent state and more men have custody these days. When we took dd to supervised visits at the family visitation center, I was the only mom dropping off. More dad's and grandparents than I could have ever imagined. You can get a big home here for little money. Job market is great in Irving, Dallas, Grapevine and Ft Worth. I am not sure about income but where we live ( north of Ft Worth) average income is over $100k- $150k But homes sell for about $200k so it's not New England. No one can live on that up there lol Gas is about $2.89 a gallon here. Lots to do and see.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Beth3721
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Move to North Dakota.  It gets kinda cold, but there have been some good winters lately.  Economy is doing good.  Just stay in the eastern part of the state.  If your DH is in the mood to work hard he can make a crap ton of money in the western part of the state while you live on the other side.  Low property taxes.  Legacy fund for the future. 

Beth3721
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Oh and the people are really nice.

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:14 PM

I'm in Michigan.  The cost of living is pretty cheap around me.  But you need to be in the right area or profession to get a job. It's been cold and snowy here the last week, but the winters haven't been that bad here the last couple of years. We are far enough east not to get lake effect snow.  We are with in 30 minutes of 3 good size cities with ok shopping.  (We both have to drive 20-30 minutes to get to one for work)  Go an hour or so more in a couple directions and you can find much better shopping.

DH's CO was originally from MA, they didn't go to court here.  Based on people I know, the judges in my county are fair.  I know several custodial fathers.

TJandKarasMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:42 PM

We have been looking at WI, we just have no idea where to start.  I've moved an hour away before, but that's it and I was 18 and just worked in a daycare and then retail.  Now I work in a school, I am not a certified teacher in my state but I am qualified to teach special ed and am working toward certification in elem ed and special ed.  I want to teach, so I want to look into the certification requirements in WI, but I also want to find jobs for DH.  He wants to be a police officer, he has an associates degree in criminal justice, he currently is head of security for a private firm and completely hates it, it's not even close to real security.  And he barely makes any money at all.  It sucks for us here right now, we really love our state and our kids love the schools, but honestly we would be better off if we could move and get better jobs, or if DH could get a really good one so I could stay home ;)

So if you have any other advice about WI, please share it!!

Quoting Lorena:

I live in WI too! The only reason I hate it here is because I hate the snow otherwise it is awesome. The area I live in is really good for housing.

Quoting Mommy0505:

Wisconsin. Its great! Everything is snow covered and beautiful at the moment :) and the summer is beautiful too with lots of trees and nature...

Great schools and lots of choices for different types of towns. Big/small/diverse... The only other place I would consider moving is CO. It would have to be near the mountains, though.

And cost of living depends on where in the state you decide. My hometown of Fond du Lac is very reasonable and a perfect medium size. Also within driving distance to all major cities!

TJandKarasMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Please see my above post and tell me more!  We would really like a smaller town, we live in a town with about 17,000 people in it so we would want around the same or even smaller would be better.  Low crime, good schools, fair taxes. 

DH wants to be in law enforcement and me in education.  I will look at the requirements for me to be certifies, do you know of a good website for jobs in the area?  Or what would bea decent area for us?  Any advice would be appreciated!!

Quoting Mommy0505:

Lorena
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:54 PM
For one I know that at least in my area we are very short on sped teachers. The police/sheriff/state Patrol are always posting jobs.
What eles would you like to know?

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

We have been looking at WI, we just have no idea where to start.  I've moved an hour away before, but that's it and I was 18 and just worked in a daycare and then retail.  Now I work in a school, I am not a certified teacher in my state but I am qualified to teach special ed and am working toward certification in elem ed and special ed.  I want to teach, so I want to look into the certification requirements in WI, but I also want to find jobs for DH.  He wants to be a police officer, he has an associates degree in criminal justice, he currently is head of security for a private firm and completely hates it, it's not even close to real security.  And he barely makes any money at all.  It sucks for us here right now, we really love our state and our kids love the schools, but honestly we would be better off if we could move and get better jobs, or if DH could get a really good one so I could stay home ;)

So if you have any other advice about WI, please share it!!

Quoting Lorena:

Quoting Mommy0505:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)